Marco
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : 5 Ways To Improve Your Conversational Skills In Spanish

Discuss the Article : 5 Ways To Improve Your Conversational Skills In Spanish

<a href='/article/291/5-ways-to-improve-your-conversational-skills-in-spanish' target='_blank'>5 Ways To Improve Your Conversational Skills In Spanish</a>

It's not enough just to know vocabulary - you need to know how to use it in real conversation! Accelerate your conversational Spanish with these study tips:

Oct 23, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 19

If your level is intermediate, I highly recommend you to watch a TV series called "Cuéntame cómo pasó" on RTE. Well written and acted. About a middle class spanish family during the transition years to democracy. This is the link of first season http://www.rtve.es/television/cuentame/temporada-1/ and all the seasons are there! Enjoy it!

November 14, 2014

There is a TV series from the early 90s in the US called "Destinos", specifically for Spanish students.  It is about a female lawyer hired to find out what became of a elder patriarch's first wife in Spain during the Spanish Civil War.  It has 52 episodes, starting with basics, and gradually getting more difficult each episode.  It reviews key vocabulary, differences in culture and expression among the different Spanish speaking countries, and is quite entertaining.  You can find it online.

October 30, 2014

Hola Sindy, series usually require a higher level. I would recommend you to start watching cartoons and movies for children in Spanish. That is usualy effective to form a base in Spanish and get used to the pronunciation, besides you can rely on the images and context to infer the meaning of words in specific situations.

Most of the cartoons we watch in Latin America are dubbed into Spanish, originally being from the US. So it's common for us to see in TV programs such as "Jorge el curioso" or "Dora, la exploradora". So I can't think of any series made originally produced in Spanish (although when you are intermediate, you can try "telenovelas", which are very common in our TV) 

There are websites, such as Netflix, that offer the possibility to watch cartoons and movies in different languages, maybe you can pick one that you like and watch it in Spanish. When I was learning English, I watched "The lion king" in English... as I already had seen it in Spanish, my previous knowlegde helped me to understand what was being said... you can repeat a movie that you like for learning purposes. It's not a bad idea. I hope it helps :) 

October 27, 2014

Do you have any good advice for series or movies adapted for beginners (level A2)? So far, I've been listening to a lot of podcasts for beginners. I'd really like to watch series but their level is just too high.

October 27, 2014

Some good advice for language learners.  Thanks, Marco!

October 24, 2014
Show more