William
What is your native language? What advice would you give someone learning your native language?
Oct 26, 2014 5:31 PM
Comments · 15

My advice is: Don't ask a native speaker how to learn THEIR language. Because, it will not work for you. Aquiring a first (native) language and a 2nd language are two totally different things.

The best advise you will get from somebody that will speak YOUR language natively, and has very good knowledge of your target language. 

October 31, 2014

If you're learning English, forget about the spelling and pronunciation rules of your first language.

Even if your own language uses the same alphabet, the rules will be different. Sometimes the links between what you read and say and between what you write and hear will seem confusing. And yes, English spelling - and its relationship with pronunciation - is sometimes illogical and irregular.  But you will make this far more difficult for yourself if you presume that these relationships will be the same as in your mother tongue.

October 26, 2014

My native language is Indonesia.

I'd like to share steps that I've done in learning Turkish by myself:

1. Strongwill

2. Buy Turkish introduction book (contain grammar, conversation and exercises)  and Turkish -         

English dictionary. I read  to understand the basic, practice the exercises. Always look up the   

dictionary for the words meaning.

3. Read Turkish news to broaden the vocabulary

4. Watch Turkish program that I enjoy watching (I choosed tv series  and talk show) for listening how

they speak and pronounce words.

5. Listening to Turkish songs. I try to catch the lyrics to songs I love  and sing it out loud :D (it really

helps the learning process)

6. Chat with the natives

October 27, 2014

Russian is my native language. I can give advice watching movie with subtitles. It seems to me this help to learning Russian language.

October 26, 2014

My mother tongue is italian. I grew up in a chinese monolingual family, that speak two dialects and sometimes mandarin, for this reason I have some problem with pronunciation and to resolve it I'm learning how to pronounce better each words, listening podcast and repeat the content and pay attention to my speaking.

Meanwhile I'm learning japanese because I studied it in the university and i really like japanese culture (manga, tv series, culture, arts...). Now I'm learning the alphabet and some basic sentences, I think that is better to learn it slowly because I'm afraid of chinese's interferences when i must read kanji.

October 30, 2014
Show more