Hady
Does the /n/ change into /m/ when it is followed by /b/ in your languages?

Does the /n/ change into /m/ when it is followed by /b/ in your languages? 

This happens in Arabic and in English sometime, but does it happen in other languages?

In Arabic, and especially in Qur'an, if we say من بعد /min baʕd/ [ which means after], the /n/ sound would change into /m/ so that it would be easier for pronounciation since both /m/ and /b/ share the same place of articulation.

It is also used in colloguial Arabic as in جنبي /d͡ʒanbi:/ [which means next to me]. In colloquial Arabic and in this example, the /n/ is also changed into /m/ when it is followed by /b/

The same can be said about English. You know that the morphemes which are used as prefixes to form the negative [in, ir, il, im] belong to the same familiy, and that the original one among which is actually /in/ but the /n/ would change or assimilate according to the segments that the following word starts with. 

Thus, the /n/ would change to /m/ if the word begins with /b/. As an example, let's take the case of the word 'balance.' If we want to form the negative of 'balance,' we would use [imbalance] and not [inbalance, irbalance, ilbalance].

If some of you ask about /un/ and whether it can be used with 'balance,' my answer would be yes, but /un/ belongs to a different group.

We would use im to form the negative of balance when it is a noun ONLY!

We would use /un/ to form the negative of 'balance' when it's an ajdective for example, but not when it's a noun.

Back to square one and back to the first question, does the same process occur or take place in your languages? If it does, can you give me examples?

Oct 26, 2014 9:54 PM
Comments · 5

Even I forget that it's question. Lol! 

October 26, 2014

It's an interesting article! 

October 26, 2014

Below are more examples taken from: http://www.ipedr.com/vol68/021-ICLLL2013-A10013.pdf
(1) Bilabial Stop /p/, /b/
/p/ in- + possible → impossible, in- + polite → impolite
/b/ in- + balance → imbalance, in- + becile → imbecile

in- + moral → immoral, in- + morta l→ immortal
(3) Alveolar Lateral Liquid /l/
in- + legible → illegible, in- + licit → illicit
(4) Alveolar Retroflex Liquid /r/
in- + rational → irrational, in- + relevant → irrelevant  

October 26, 2014

In Croatian happens as well.

For example: the word 'stan' in Croatian means 'flat', 'residence', so when you want to make an adjective 'residential' the process goes like this: stan - stanbeni - stambeni

April 18, 2015

Excellent rule in phonetics! I think in English there is sth similar to this phonatic rule, assimilation; when the sound/s/ is followed by /j/ sound, for example this year, it's pronounced as /ش/ sound. 

Sorry I couldn't type the /ش/ sound using phonetic transcription, because it's not available in phones keyboards.

October 27, 2014