Sven
Going from C1 to C2, English.

What are your best tips on going from C1 to C2 in English?

Oct 27, 2014 12:46 PM
Comments · 6

Try reading MOVING BEYOND THE PLATEAU by Jack C Richards, Cambridge University Press.

It's actually a discussion of the problems associated with moving from intermediate levels to advanced levels, but many of the ideas apply to C1 to C2.

Here's a link to the pdf.

http://www.cambridge.org/other_files/downloads/esl/booklets/Richards-Beyond-Plateau.pdf

October 30, 2014

Thank you for your suggestions! "Moving Beyond the Plateau" was really interesting and gave me some new ideas and possible approaches. I think reading the Economist sounds like a good idea too, I'll definitely give that a try! And reflecting on what I want to achieve with my language learning and adapt my approach accordingly also seems like a good idea.

Thanks Moira, Berneddi and Davide!

October 31, 2014

It depends on the place where you are and the aim that you get. I'll try to explain.

First of all, are you studying english in an aglophone country or in Norway? If you're in a foreign environment it is far easier to reach the level you desire. If you are learning English as a foreign language, it is more complicated: native English speakers are insufficient. Having a Skype session is not enough. You need to immerse in the language every day and make it automatic in your mind with academic or working content and interactions on specific fields.

The second point deals with the target of your learning. Are you learning English for academic or working purpouse or just to communicate with people? A C1/C2 level means you have a strong grammar, an awesome vocabulary, BUT for everyday situations. The European Framework has been created for everyday purposes of low standard communication. If you want to do your job thought English you need to specialize yourself and improve your technical vocabulary, synthax and grammar. You won't be good for all fields, because it is impossible even for our native language.

Anyway, keep going, Exunus

Good luck

October 30, 2014

Reading... Have you ever read the news magazine called "The Economist" [ economist.com ] (which is related to the "Financial Times")? Wikipedia's comment is that "It targets highly educated readers and claims an audience containing many influential executives and policy-makers." You could make a habit of reading it. It's not very easy, but it's very good. It's quite dense with material, even though it doesn't seem very thick; and if you read most of its pages, its weekly frequency will keep you quite busy. Most libraries subscribe to it.

Reading novels... I'm not sure which authors would most assist in moving from C1 to C2... Anyone have appropriate author suggestions for Exunus?

October 30, 2014

Practise every day.Practise your speaking and listening. Listen to lots of texts,songs and stories.Expand your vocabulry by reading things you enjoy and practise here on italki of course.

Good luck.

October 27, 2014
Show more