Teacher Joseph
Professional Teacher
Shadow Learning

One of the most interesting ways to learn a language is by using the shadow method.  This was invented by Alexander Arguelles. This man speaks 38 Languages. 

Basically, his method is to turn on the radio in the desired language and repeat what you hear at the same time. In other words you say exactly what the speaker says and you continue to do this for as long as you can, catching and repeating as much of the conversation as you can. 

This is what he says about the experience:- 

<em>"Essentially, you’ve got a native-speaker dialogue playing through your earphones and as you hear it, even if you don’t understand a word of it, you’re repeating the sounds at the same time and using transcriptions for meaning and clarity </em>(if you have them)<em>.</em>

<em>It’s basically learning another language in a way that’s similar to how you learned your first language – repeating sounds exactly as you hear them. It’s the best way not only to master colloquial speech, but accent and intonation as well.</em>

<em>Shadowing is also a training technique used by some conference interpreters".</em>

<em>
</em>

Now, I did try this but because of my poor concentration and the fact that I give up easily I didn't get very far. However if you keep trying this it does actually work. It gives you the sounds that you need and an ability to talk with the correct accent very very quickly.  Its a bit like learning to swim by being thrown into the pool, but its wonderful!

Arguelles also emphasizes the importance of walking at the same time - so this is not something you can do lying down!  He gives really good reasons why this is required. 

Walking while shadowing language is directly challenging your brain to comprehend new linguistic input and to automate this process.

His website is here:- http://www.foreignlanguageexpertise.com/

Kind regards

Joseph

<em>
</em>

Oct 28, 2014 1:12 PM
Comments · 22

Very interesting! I hadn't heard of this method, but when I lived in Thailand, I would 'think along' with lines of the Thai news, and it did improve not only my pronounciation, but also my understanding of the language. Speaking along aloud, might be way more difficult as 'they' talk quite fast. Emerging into a language is always a good idea! I remember being in hospital for a week and came out suddenly speaking complete setences in Thai :) Thank you for sharing this method!

October 29, 2014

I think it's very useful way to learn the language and I watching movies to know who they  pronounce word. but ,what can I do when I don't know the meaning of the word when I listing to it  ?

October 29, 2014

According to me you need to mix a lot of things. Of course this technique sounds interesting. Actually I was practicing in this way in these last months but not only.
I think the the most important "technique" is determination. Learning a language is not a matter of passing or failing an exam, is not a matter of obtaining a title. For some aspects studying subjects is easier than learning a language. For instance when have to make an exam of Macroeconomy your professor gives you 2 or 3 books to read and you know that you have to study (to finish) these books in order to pass the test. Learning languages doesn't work in the same way. You can read 100 books and perhaps you are not still able to have a decent conversation
I didn't know it called Shadowing Learning anyway.

Grazie for the tip! 

October 29, 2014

It’s basically learning another language in a way that’s similar to how you learned your first language – repeating sounds exactly as you hear them.

I guess. Mind you, when my son was learning to speak he had constant coaching on very small tidbits of the language.  He didn't simply hear us speaking & start repeating our sentences & somehow that moved to full comprehension. We would slowly & repeatedly say words, point to objects and explain that the word related to the object.  Imagine learning your native language in an environment where everyone completely ignored you & went about their day speaking their language & you were merely an observer.  The learning process would be completely different and while I imagine you'd get there, it would be a different & very long arduous journey.

I believe that the best way to learn a language is to use a combination of many things.  Some grammar drills, conjugation rules & examples, reading, writing, speaking to people, listening to people and exchanging ideas with these people.  If I say something in Spanish completely wrong & no one corrects me, it will become part of my lexicon & will be reinforced through incorrect repetition.  If I hear someone say words in Spanish & I don't know what they mean or how to spell them, I can parrot them, but they will not become part of my vocabulary for a very long time until I can make the association of the words to the objects that they represent.

October 28, 2014

Thats really interesting Davide,

I'm wondering if it would be of more use to someone who has a good knowledge of English but cant really speak well?

October 28, 2014
Show more