[Deleted]
Helpless and Rude Members of this Site

Is it possible to report people who only answer questions to make fun of those who ask such questions? 

There is a user of this site whose replies to some questions have been:

There is no difficulty in this phrase. Even a five-year-old could have looked it up for himself.

Yes. "Laugh" has only one syllable; "laughter" has two.

For dictionary questions, see m-w.com first.

If they  think a question is not worth to answer why do they care about answering these questions?

That only shows that they have nothing else to do with their time. 

Do you think that these kind of people are useful on a site like this??

Oct 30, 2014 3:54 AM
Comments · 8

I think I can understand that guy. Sometimes people here ask questions that answers can be really very easily and quickly found via online dictionaries or forums. And that irritates him. If you do not like him, block him.

Btw. I found these answers that seemed to be quite easy to understand. It took only a few seconds to find via Google:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060908002806AADvbsO

http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/11981/laugh-noun-vs-laughter

October 30, 2014

I think there are 2 sides to this argument. Yes, anwsers like "There is no difficulty in this phrase. Even a five-year-old could have looked it up for himself" are rather rude, and not useful, but are questions that can be anwsered in 2 seconds by using a dictionary useful either? I know I have found myself very wound up by certain users who constantly post questions with list of words to translate that are so simple to look up. I have pointed one user to several very good Chinese dictionaries over and over again, but they still insit on asking people here to do the work for them, Now I just wanna scream at them "do you actually want to learn this language or are you just hoping we will learn it for you?" 

Questions asking for simple everyday single word translations to me just show laziness on the part of the person asking, they take up members time who could be helping people with tricky questions that cant be solved by self study, push sensible questions out of view and are well, not helpful to the site either. 

October 30, 2014

Even if I don't appreciate people that reply so "childish-ly", I must admit sometimes some questions sounds like "I didn't went to check on google before asking this"...

I say about "what means... " in english...?
For some reasons I understand that people are confused by translations but sometimes stupid questions (yes, some happens!) implies stupid answers...

October 30, 2014

If you think that a question is silly, you always can ignore it. Nobody forces you to answer. There's no need to be rude.

I've asked a few questions, and maybe somebody thought they were silly. Of course I had used a dictionary first, but sometimes what I need to know is if a certain word or expression is commonly used or sounds weird, and that is something that a dictionary can't tell me, so I need a native speaker to help me.

October 30, 2014

I agree with Erika, this is just rudeness, even if it is annoying that people ask too many simple questions, it is still not necessary to be so rude. Just do not answer the question. If people have asked someone to do their homework for them, I always try and say what do you think is the right answer or how could you answer the question? If it is just translating a wrod this is not always valid, however there is no excuse for being rude. I have reported such rude people before because it is not needed on a language site. Perhaps this 'annoying person' likes to have some contact with people of another language and this helps them. I do not know. But there is no need to be unfriendly or nasty. I do not think there is a place for such people on italki:) They can go and be rude somewhere else! I stopped do corrections now because of a rude person who always made sarcastic comments to me and he is from my own country, I reported him, but that is all you can do:) I moved on and it is the best thing as it takes up to much energy being upset. I now concentrate on working with my language partners. Perhaps people need a break from correcting and do something else we can all get fed up sometimes:)

October 30, 2014
Show more