Emilio
Tell me something funny about you country

just write a random, funny fact about yor country or your culture. Right know i can't think about anything, when I'll do i'll write something about my country :P

Oct 30, 2014 1:39 PM
Comments · 22

Canadians are know to apologize for everything, even if you bump into them - they'll apologize to you.

October 30, 2014

In Russia the New Year comes within 10 hours. Starts in Chukotka and ends in Kaliningrad.

October 31, 2014

We have clowns as candidates on political elections.

October 30, 2014

@Alexander: we too :))

October 30, 2014

I always find it funny how place names are repeated and re-used over and over again within the United States. Whenever we travel it is always strange to see familiar-looking town names for completely different towns. 

Some extremely common U.S. town names include: <em>Dover</em>, 28 towns, including three "Dover's" all within the State of Wisconsin; <em>Adams</em>, 19 towns; <em>Springfield</em>, about 38. Matt Groening intentionally used <em>Springfield</em> for the name of the fictional town of "The Simpsons" because it is so common. In some cases, the duplicate names refer to substantial towns; Portland, Oregon is the most familiar Portland, population about 600,000, but Portland, Maine has about 60,000 and is the biggest city in Maine.

Street names repeat. Many, many towns really do have a "Main Street." "Division Street" is very common and often the streets that cross it will be called "East X" to the east of it and "West X" to the west of it. Tree names are extremely popular, Elm Street, Maple Street, and so forth, and of course there are many School Streets and Church Streets.

A lot of big international cities have small U.S. namesakes. Cairo, Illinois (pronounced "Care-Oh," not "Ky-Ro;" Moscow, Idaho; Paris, Texas; Warsaw, Indiana; Athens, Georgia; Memphis, Tennessee; and, of course, Rome, Syracuse, and Troy, all in New York.

October 30, 2014
Show more