sakura8739
Are adults (40s or up) able to have new friends?

I've found a new e mail frined recently, and he said interesting things about making friends in his age.He said it is hard for him to start new firendship and he seem to give up with it.

What he said is following

"I don't feel like I can call them up and say, "hey, let's go see a movie" or "let's go to a ballgame," and certainly not to talk about anything personal with them. I have accepted the fact that adult guys in their 40s and 50s are not looking to "make friends." It seems almost childish, I guess."

Well, to tell you the truth, I agree with him.  But if that right, it is a little bit sad because I have come only a half point in my life, I guess.  Tell me what you think about it and if you find new friends to share your life experience, how do you find them?

Oct 31, 2014 2:39 PM
Comments · 5

Sakura, it's not about age. I have some wonderful friends that are much older than that. And in most cases they demonstrate to be better friends than younger ones.

Su.Ki., I don't think it's true. Maybe in some cases, but it's not general. There are few friends from my youth that I still keep contact. Moreover, making new friends is such a good practice, no matter how old you are.

October 31, 2014

I've read that this is a gender issue.

While women carry on making new friends throughout their lives, men tend to stick with the friendship groups which were established when they were in their teens and twenties.

Do people think there is any truth in this?

October 31, 2014

Hi Sakura! I'm 42 and find it easy to make new friends. 

October 31, 2014

As I see, In my country, the best way they are doing is join a club (dancing, tennis, yoga...) so they will have many chances to meet new friends and they can find friends who are same interests, common interests. They dont call each other for movies, games...but they do call each other for nice coffee together, schedule to play sports togerther, schedule to travel in a group...

October 31, 2014

I do not think so at all. from different angles, you may have different notions.  To make friends is totally possible after 40 years however, it is dependent upon your mindset and phychological age instead of the number of age.

Welcome all people who like to practice English to make friends with me.

November 17, 2014