Kaori
Do you drink tap water?

I was born and grown in Tokyo, Japan, and I have never moved from Tokyo.
It is said that tap water in Japan is the most clean one in the world.
"Don't drink directly from tap water, or you may have a stomachache." is indicated on almost all of the guidebooks on foreign countries sold in Japan.
Maybe it's true, because Japanese tap water (and most Japanese food) is very clean and we don't have enough immune to fight against bacteria (or something like that) in tap water at foreign countries.
And my question is, whether tap water in foreign country clean enough for local people or not?
I think it depends on where are you living, so please tell me how do you use tap water.
When do you use tap water?
Do you use it for making soup and salad? How about washing dishes?
Do you make ice with tap water?

Just wondered. I'm waiting for your answers:)

Nov 2, 2014 1:35 PM
Comments · 53

We drink tapwater, and we use it for making coffee, cooking, etc. We live near Boston, and our water is provided by the MWRA, the Massaachusetts Water Resources Authority. It tastes good and we believe it is perfectly safe.

It is a strange sad story: MWRA water comes from Quabbin Reservoir, which holds 1.5 cubic kilometers, and is carried by an aqueduct 40 km. long. The reservoir was built in the 1930s and four small towns were submerged by the waters of the reservoir. The inhabitants of the towns were moved and compensated.

Some people install extra filters on their faucets, and some buy bottled water, but we think the tapwater is fine. 

When we travel in the United States we drink the tapwater everywhere we go. 

November 3, 2014

I hope you are reassured about tap water outside Japan, Kaori. You may also be relieved to hear that tap water is perfectly safe to drink all over Europe, too. But could I give you some advice? This isn't about water, but it's about language.

You should be careful how you use the word 'foreign'. As Rick from Spain suggested in his reply:  you really need to distinguish between the two hundred or more countries in the world which are not Japan. The way that you use the word 'foreign' implies that you consider the world to be divided into two categories - Japan and 'foreign countries'. Please be aware that this can sound offensive. I don't live in a foreign country. People in Spain, Poland, Italy, Australia, the USA, Uruguay, Colombia and Jordan don't think that they live in foreign countries either. Nobody likes to be referred to as 'foreign'. Please be aware of this.

November 4, 2014

I do drink from tap water because our water is essentially clean water. The older people before 100 years were acostomed to drink from rivers and wells. They were healthier than we do nowadays. So, why we bother ourselves when it comes from natural resouces. It's only a psychological effect when we can't accept water which is accepted by others... it's only an opiniun!

November 2, 2014

Kaori, I do drink it sometimes. It isn't quite clean and it isn't tasty, but it isn't considered dangerous as well. And I'm much more concerned with chemicals than with bacteria.

It is used in cooking (in soup it always get boiled), in washing wegetables, dishes and... people:) Or otherwise why we needed it?)

Sometimes I use bottled water for tea: as i've said, it isn't quite tasty. But i'm sort of lazy to do it every time.

A most of people avoid drinking it before it was either boiled or filtered - but whatever negative effect it has on our health, it isn't immediate (people don't get their stomach aching when drink it).

The tradition to boil it could arise in the times when it's quality was lower. Or it may be helpful in regions where the quality is low. What I write is applicable to Moscow.
Boiling obviously fights bacteria (while filtering doesn't necessary). It's quite advisable with river or lake water even in the wilderness (except for springs), or when there are farms around or in (sub-)tropics.
Filters became fashionable ~20 yesrs ago.

If there exist any negative long term effect on health, I don't know if boiling or filtereng helps:(

November 2, 2014

Interesting question. I’m from Ireland, and I drink the tap water in my hometown as I believe that it’s safe to drink, and it tastes really good. However, a lot of people are concerned about potential health risks posed by mandatory fluoridation of the water in Ireland (a process which is supposed to decrease tooth decay). These days, I live in South Korea where I drink bottled water daily. Even though I recycle, I feel really guilty about the damage I’m doing to the environment with all those plastic bottles.

November 5, 2014
Show more