Site Feedback

Some Vocabulary and Grammar Questions

1.  How does one say "science-fiction and fantasy novels" in Russian?  On www.ozone.ru "science-fiction" is listed as фантастика and "fantasy" as фзнтези .   So would фантастичные романы mean "science-fiction novels"?  How about "fantasy novels" (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc.)?  фзнтезические романы? 2.  How would you say "a novel by Isaac Asimov"?  Роман Айзеком Азимовом?  How about when the name of a non-Russian author ends in -ей, -й, -ий, or -и?  For example, "a novel by Ernest Hemingway"?  Роман (написаный) Эрнестом Гемингвейем?  Or "a novel by Ray Bradbury"?  Роман Рейем Бредбэрием?

Share:

Comments

OK. I discovered today where I can find the answers to the questions I asked above. My _Essentials of Russian Grammar_ book by Nicholas Maltzoff has a section on Proper Nouns and _A Comprehensive Russian Grammar_ by Terence Wade explains in great detail all of the complexities of this vast subject. So my question now is as follows: Do any of you know of an English-Russian dictionary of Proper Nouns, especially non-Russian names of famous people and places, so that I can see how they are spelled in Russian?

I don't know of any proper noun dictionaries, though I can offer you a quick, temporary work-around: Type the name you wish to translate into Wikipedia then scroll down that person's page to see the Russian language entry. It's a crude system for translating names, but it's free and gets results, albeit for famous people only.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Большое Спасибо!

After typing in the author's name in English, I have found that by choosing Найти (instead of Search) on the bottom of the wikipedia.org page, I am taken to a ru.wikipedia.org page that shows the Russian transliteration as well many references to works by and about the author. Nice!

Even better; I'll keep that in mind for when I'm writing my thesis on Russian literature. =D Good luck!

1. not "фантастичные" but "фантастические" or "научно-фантастические" (literally translation of "science fiction" )
not "фентезические" but "фентезийные" or "романы-фентези" 

"science-fiction and fantasy novels"   are "научный вымысел" и "(роман) фэнтези".

Anyone can help about possesive?
I have been learning Russian since 3 months. 
I knew about Мой, Моя, её, его, Ваш, Нас, & Их.
For Example  Мой друг, Моя Школа, её Папа, etc. 
But I haven't known yet about how to say : 
This is Papa's Desk
She is Иванов's wife
This is My daughter's bedroom
etc.
Pls, anyone can help me ??

Это стол папы.
Она жена Иванова.
Это спальня моей дочери.
Very simple.
If you got a queshions are can help.

Anyone can help about possesive?
I have been learning Russian since 3 months. 
I knew about Мой, Моя, её, его, Ваш, Нас, & Их.
For Example  Мой друг, Моя Школа, её Папа, etc. 
But I haven't known yet about how to say : 
This is Papa's Desk
She is Иванов's wife
This is My daughter's bedroom
etc.
Pls, anyone can help me ??

Hello, I will be boring a little bit, but I will try to explain it to you:)
Papa's Desk, Иванов's wife,  My daughter's bedroom - all this is Genetive case. and Russian, "papa's", "Ivanov's", "daughter's" are put after "desk", "wife" and "bedroom". So, the posessor is put after the object that he possess. and the possessor is given if Genetive, has the  endings -ы (папЫ), -а (ИвановА), -и (дочерИ).
I hope, I helped you.
don't be shy asking the questions:)

Add a comment