tomipulkkinen
How to learn a new language? What I have found most important.

Things that are, in my opinion, the most important to get you started:

1. Learn the conjugation of verbs. Especially the weird, irregular ones. Also, make sure you know the conjugation of the most used verbs in every language, such as: to be, to go, to come, to say, to think (have an opinion, and contemplate), to like, to love, to walk, to run, to happen, etc.

I know it's kind of boring but you can't find these in the dictionary. Once you learn these, you will already have a general idea of what's being said.

2. Literal translation of sentences can help you understand grammar and syntax without going too deep in the theoretical study of either. It can also be very amusing at times.

3. Read a lot in the language you're trying  to learn. Pick a subject that interests you and don't worry about understanding every word. The context will often give you an idea what unknown words mean.

4. Learn to differentiate between different categories of words: verbs, nouns, adverbs, and adjectives, etc.

This will enable you to follow the sentence structure and know that something is being done to something somewhere by someone in some way, without knowing the exact meaning of any of the words in a particular sentence.

Please let me know what you think are the most important aspects in learning a new language.

Nov 9, 2014 6:38 AM
Comments · 1

I totally agree with that! I can add that reading is important, as well as watching movies and hearing songs. Thank you

November 15, 2014