Curie
Do you think watching tv/movies in your target language is a good way to learn?
Nov 14, 2014 11:32 AM
Comments · 13

TV, Radio, Newspaper, it's always good for learning a language!

November 15, 2014

Yes and no! 

Yes: You get involved and exposed to the languge. Even though you don't understand mucho or even not a thing at all, you are being in contact with the language and the sounds and usage of the language gets familiar to the learner. If the student is learning a similar language to their native one, then it's definetely the best method to see the differences.

No: Depending on the student, he or she can get frustrated for not picking too much of what is actually going on and depending also on the goal of the student, being exposed too much won't be of any help, in case he or she just wants to get a formal and comprehensive level of the language. 

It also depends on how you watch these TV shows and Films. If you watch only in the target language, or if you watch with subtitles in your native language or if you watch both voice and subtitles in your target language. Sometimes it'll work the reading and listening part which can be useful or it'd be too much information and in the end of the film or Show you'll only be stressed and disappointed. 

November 14, 2014

Definitely very helpful. Watching movies in the original with the subtitles in the original language (English movies with English subtitles, for example) was the best way for me personally to start understanding speech. Good to have a few of such movies in your PC so you can stop the movie anytime, write down unfamiliar words, listen again, repeat, etc.

November 14, 2014

Yes, I've learned what I know about english almost by watching subtitled movies (For the better, and for the worst). It's one of the good way, for sure.

November 14, 2014

I think it helps a lot to actually learn the "natural" usage of a language. You will learn a lot of informal sayings and other tiny conncetors which will give you conversations a flexible and creative touch.

However, I had a lot of troubles not to give up on it because first of all, it was difficult to find a programme I would like to watch. When I found some movies/shows/series I liked to watch I had trouble understanding it and this was kind of demotivating. Usually people say: Oh you can guess what they say because there are a lot pictures which help you. Well, I was too dumb for that haha. Anyhow, it is worth it to keep doing it even if it makes you feel dizzy in the beginning.

November 14, 2014
Show more