Jeffrey
It's a Small World

Has learning a new language made the world seem smaller to you?

One of the most famous rides at the Disneylands all over the world  is "It's a Small World" 

It is a boat ride through a canal with auto-animatronic dolls dressed as the children of the world singing the same titled song.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Small_World

Nov 16, 2014 3:19 PM
Comments · 13

@Jeffrey & @Sophie:

You both are really lucky, I can only imagine if I'm there, someone will have to drag me out of the (It's a small world) ride, because it's sooooooo0oOOoo sweet (,") hehe

Yes, I totally agree that it's never too late, I always have the BEST time with kids, playing with them makes me feel so good, so to be in their "land" is more like a dream come true :)

November 17, 2014

Very interesting ! I didn't know about it. Thank you for sharing :)

But to answer your actual question,I will say on the contrary that learning a new language makes the world seem bigger : so many languages , so many countries... it makes me dizzzy!

November 16, 2014

The Sherman brothers intentionally wrote the song almost entirely in words of one syllable to make it easier to translate into as many languages as possible.

By the way, non-English speakers may not be aware that the title and refrain is a sort of double or even triple meaning.

"It's a small world, after all" is a kind of saying or catchphrase. You use it when you traveling, you are a long way from home, and are unexpectedly surprised to see someone you know. You had no idea they were even on vacation; you just happen to walk into a coffee shop in Lima, Peru and there are Lew and Eloise from your home town of Lima, Ohio. You say something like "It can't be! Lew and Eloise? Here? Well, it's a small world after all." (Or "Small world, isn't it?")

I'm calling it a triple meaning because the ride is a miniature model of countries and people, hence a small "world" in size... and because it is inhabited by children, hence a "small" world.

November 18, 2014

Dmitry,

I completely agree with you.  I brought up the ride at Disneyland as an example.  A tool for teaching my point.

My hope is that as we learn another language and study other cultures that the world will feel smaller to us. 

That we will learn from children.  They readily accept other people.  The have to be taught to discriminate and hate. We have much to learn from them.  It was Walt Disney's desire in creating the ride for the world to realize that we have much more in common than we imagine.

Italki is also a tool that site that can make the world seem smaller.  At least that is my hope and desire.

November 17, 2014

Jeffrey : Actually I'm already dreaming of it!

November 17, 2014
Show more