zurab
Wenn gegen als

As far as I know  als is only used for single actions in the past, but recently I have come across the following sentence: "<em>Als ich am nächsten Morgen ins Gymnasium komme, kommt Krach aus meiner Klasse</em>". 

The verb kommen is in the present tense and is referring to something that will happen tomorrow (in future). So why is it als?

Nov 17, 2014 10:54 AM
Comments · 3

Right! It's not about tomorrow.

This narration <em>is</em> in the past, and "als" is a signal word for that.

<em>Am</em> <em>Morgen</em> does not signalise the contrary, because it means in the morning, not tomorrow. Just like <em>morgens</em>.

It is rather colloquial style to narrate about the past in present tense, but common.

If the phrase was: "Wenn ich morgen ins Gymnasium komme", it would be about tomorrow.

If it was: "wenn ich <em>am Morgen</em> ins Gymnasium komme", this would mean in the morning at any time, it would probably be followed by some general statement like a habit or something that regularly happens in the morning.

"Wenn ich am Morgen ins Gymnasium komme, habe ich es oft schwer einen Parkplatz für mein Fahrrad zu finden."

November 17, 2014

Right! It is in the past. The use of the word "als" signalises that.

Am morgen does not mean tomorrow, but in the morning. Just like morgens.

With these clues combined we find out it's about some morning in the past.

In English it would be just as confusing, had fashion not shifted from the word morrow to morning ;) You would hear phrases like: In the morrow I brush my teeth.

November 17, 2014

I got it. It's not about tomorrow. It's like a narrative.

November 17, 2014