Leah
Learning Article : Boost Your Vocabulary: 6 Tips For Making Paper Flashcards

Discuss the Article : Boost Your Vocabulary: 6 Tips For Making Paper Flashcards

<a href='/article/309/boost-your-vocabulary-6-tips-for-making-paper-flashcards' target='_blank'>Boost Your Vocabulary: 6 Tips For Making Paper Flashcards</a>

Good, old-fashioned paper flashcards are still an effective way to study! You can make your own DIY SRS (Spaced Repetition System) without yet another app.

Nov 17, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 22

I've used a programme similar to Anki just during one month or so when I was learning Chinese characters for dictations (if I needed to learn words orally, I never bothered to create flashcards). Paper flashcards are much better -- you can take them with you and touch them and physically move them. But overall, I find making flashcards -- both on paper or for a programme very timeconsuming and not worthy. The hardest thing is to make oneself get back to them and review ;) Personally, I prefer highlighting words in the context, putting them into a tiny notebook and learning them immeadiately through active use (discussing the text). It works for 60-70% of words, at least for passive recognition. I try to look through my notebook with words later a couple of times, but I admit I fail to do this reagularly ;) Anyway, I think it's normal to forget 20-30% of new words after the first encounter. All I need is to meet them another time and then another, and for this reading is essential. However, If I've just started a language, I'll make more efforts to learn new words.

November 26, 2014

I have been using ANKI for a couple of years. It seemed to be very effective at the beginning, but I'm not sure of that anymore now. I don't know whether it's better keep using flash cards or read good articles and books in order to learn new words and phrases through a more natural way. Maybe I must change something in my way of using ANKI.

Greetings.

November 20, 2014
I know better way to improve your vocabulary. Take a note. You should buy a notebook(A4 format), write down heads of tables, such as: number of word, words, transcription, translation(into your language), synonym, antonym, explanation(important: you must write down explanation in English!), context, and last (but not least!!!) picture. I assure you, if you write down new words in your vocabulary, you will learn them, furthermore, you will be able to think in English.
Also, you can add your heads (for example: where I found this word (in a a book, film, etc.)), thus you will increase your chances to remember words.
April 23, 2018
Flashcards simply don't work. Isolated words never stick and most of the students get muddled up whenever try to use them in a sentence. Active learning works, which entails using vocabulary in different contexts, looking up synonyms, antonyms, analyzing your mistakes and learning from them in order not to repeat them. Obviously, it takes time, patience, effort and most of the students merely don't have the right mindset to face it and just prefer to rely on dubious apps that promise that you'll acquire your target language in a couple of weeks.
October 18, 2017

I'm going to do paper flashcards tomorrow, i think is a good idea, scientifically people learn more if use paper. 

Thanks!

June 3, 2016
Show more