Rémy Beijing
Accent Stuff: Nicole Kidman+Keith Urban+Cody Simpson+Amy Walker

I've found this video online by chance.  

<em>
</em>

<em>Charlie Rose - An interview with Nicole -- must be an old one, I suppose</em>

<em>Kidman http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODAwMzg2Nzk2.html</em>;

As I'm always curious and interested in the accent stuff, I watched it and found that Nicole speaks without an obvious Aussie accent, doesn't she? But her accent (in the video) is not really the RP/BBC accent either, then I suppose that she is having a neutral or international accent? Am I right?  It's a natural and nice accent to me!

Meanwhile, here is another video on Keith Urban:

<em>
</em>

<em>Keith Urban Talks 'Idol' and Nicole Kidman</em>

<em>http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjI3NTk5NTEy.html</em>;

He does not seem to have a strong Aussie or Kiwi accent, either. Is his accent, like Nicole's, considered neutral or international?

Here is another video on Cody Simpson

<em>Cody Simpson Paradise Series Ep23 Helium Balloon QA</em>

<em>http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTg0Mzk3Nzgw.html?from=y1.2-1-86.3.1-2.1-1-1-0</em>;

How do you guys think of Cody's accent? Aussie or neutral?

Last but not least, I've got Amy Walker! She seems to be really fascinated by accents!

<em>21 Accents</em>

<em>http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjI0MzQyMTky.html</em>;

<em>
</em>

<em>How to Do A British Accent</em>

<em>http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzQ4Njc2MzQ0.html?from=y1.2-1-176.3.1-2.1-1-1-0</em>;

Is she British or American? If you're British, do you find her accent British enough? 

I'd love to hear back from you guys soon.

Cheers!

PS The listing of the above persons are just for the sake of the accent.

Nov 19, 2014 4:01 AM
Comments · 40

Hello Su.Ki.

Thank you so much for your two long, detailed and informative replies. Very much appreciated! I will listen to the clips again to feel all the differences you pointed out.

One thing to ask: I've noticed that you spelt the word "Americanisation" with the -ise suffix. I've read some articles on the differences between BrE and AmE online, saying that in the UK both the suffixes -ise and -ize exist, with the public media more favouring the -ise, and the Oxford press being more supportive to the -ize; while in north America, the suffix -ize prevails. My question is what one is more in use now in the UK, -ise or -ize? Thanks!

November 23, 2014

Yes, you're right - she has a very nice accent, and a lovely gentle tone to her voice. And me too, I wish I  had a voice as nice as hers!

Seeing you're interested in identifying accents - what type of accent does the man doing the voiceover have?

December 13, 2014

That's an interesting question. A person's native accent can change over time, especially if they move to an area where the dominant accent is different from their own. Some people may make an effort to retain their own accent as a mark of their own identity - regional, cultural or class-related - while others may make a point of modifying their accent so as not to be seen as an outsider. This may happen consciously, subconsciously or a combination of the two.

December 11, 2014

Hi Su.Ki

<em>1.Project manager: Sorry to tell you this, but the tiles for the roof aren't going to arrive till next week.</em>
<em>Builder: Ok, right, so in that case, we'll paint the front of the house tomorrow, paint the back on Friday, and we'll leave the roof for next week.</em>
<em></em>

<em>
</em>

<em>2.Project manager: I've booked the gardening contractors to come and plant some trees in front of the house tomorrow. Is that OK with you?</em>
<em>Builder: Hmm, that's a bit awkward. We'll be painting the front of the house tomorrow.</em>
<em></em>

<em>
</em>

<em>In #1 he uses the future simple, because he's making a decision about the overall schedule. In #2 he's imagining the scenario the following day and thinking about the activity they'll be engaged in - hence the use of the future continuous. There is no suggestion in the second conversation that they'll finish the job tomorrow.</em>

<em>Does this make sense?</em>

<em>
</em>

Yes, this makes sense! I've seen the differences and will forget about the imposed "exclusiveness" of the continuous, which it never implies. Thanks for your kind explanations.

November 27, 2014

As Carmelo suggests, We'll paint the front of the house tomorrow does imply that this is the only day that that this will be done, and that they'll probably complete it tomorrow. The focus is more on the schedule and the result than on the physical process of painting. It isn't a perfect tense, however, Carmelo. Perfect tenses are formed with 'have' and the past participle, and are a whole different story...

Here are the sentences with some more context:

1.Project manager: Sorry to tell you this, but the tiles for the roof aren't going to arrive till next week.

Builder: Ok, right, so in that case, we'll paint the front of the house tomorrow, paint the back on Friday, and we'll leave the roof for next week.

2.Project manager: I've booked the gardening contractors to come and plant some trees in front of the house tomorrow. Is that OK with you?

Builder: Hmm, that's a bit awkward. We'll be painting the front of the house tomorrow.

In #1 he uses the future simple, because he's making a decision about the overall schedule. In #2 he's imagining the scenario the following day and thinking about the activity they'll be engaged in - hence the use of the future continuous. There is no suggestion in the second conversation that they'll finish the job tomorrow. Does this make sense?

November 26, 2014
Show more