Uri Quintal
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : When To Use “Por” And “Para” In Spanish: The Complete List Of Rules

Discuss the Article : When To Use “Por” And “Para” In Spanish: The Complete List Of Rules

<a href='/article/312/when-to-use-por-and-para-in-spanish-the-complete-list-of-rules' target='_blank'>When To Use “Por” And “Para” In Spanish: The Complete List Of Rules</a>

Master when to use "por" and "para" in Spanish with this complete list of rules, 7 for each, plus example sentences to help you remember.

Nov 18, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 26

The confusing thing for me with par & para is that in some cases they can both be used in the same sentence but the context differs.  For instance:

Yo trabajo para Juan

Yo trabajo por Juan

Both mean I work for Juan, but the first implies that Juan is your boss, while the second implies that you work in place of Juan.  i.e. Juan couldn't come to work today so you're taking his place.

December 2, 2014

Hello Guys,

thank you very much for reading my article and taking the time to comment about it. Prepositions Por and Para as I said in my article can be difficult to understand for non native Spanish speakers due to the different contexts and situations in which they can be used specifically.

Dorothy: I summarized the most common situations but just like in every language, native speakers always change the context in everyday sentences sometimes considering some of them as "idioms". I am currently writing a new article about this changes and once I upload it to Italki I will let you guys know so you can get used to those phrases as well.

Ladry: I definitely understand what you are telling me, I am currently teaching Spanish to some French students and they usually have trouble with these prepositions as well.

Dave: What you are expressing is what we call "cambios preposicionales", and it is that according to grammar and paraphrasing it so you can get a clearer idea is that prepositions are those little words that help us to connect the ideas from a sentence but they can also modify the whole meaning of it because each one is intended for an specific set of situations. In my article I describe as I said before just the most common situations but I will upload a more detailed article about these two prepositions.

At this point, please keep studying and do not give up guys,  

Learning a language is always a matter of practicing and be curious about everything that is around you so you can name everything and start creating sentences fluently.

Regards,

Uri Quintal.

December 16, 2014

Lists of uses are good to refer to. I learn better by seeing or using real life examples. Memorizing uses is not productive for me. Seeing meaningful uses in real contexts works better for me, and than I can consult the rules if I have to. Thanks for a concise set of rules! 

March 3, 2015

That's a very simple and concise explanation... but I must ask Uri, is that really all the uses? Are those really all the rules? I got the impression from when I've studied por and para before that there were more rules! :) 

November 20, 2014
Show more