Berneddi M.Ed. Engl.
Hello and goodbye. Many English words and phrases to say this. Which have you heard but NEVER USED? Why?

English (like many other languages) has so many ways of greeting someone when you meet them, and saying things when you leave them (some short, some long, some formal, some casual, and some just weird!) What are some that you have heard, but have never used yourself or would not want to use. Why have you not used them? Or do you have a favourite one that sounds funny?

Nov 20, 2014 12:11 PM
Comments · 11

"Tara" I guess is something like "ta ta" (not the Indian business dynasty!)... Reminds me of "toodeloo".

You grew up in the north of England surrounded by hiyas and taras, but you never used them... Hmmm, as the question asks: why? (Head buried in the books, like in your avatar? Heh heh...)

November 20, 2014

SPANGOLA: I was wondering, do you not use "goodbye" even in writing? ( - apart from when you're writing to Rose of the Titanic. I guess you could always just use "bye" instead in your writing.)

"Keep 'er between the hedges" - Nice one! I can see why that may not catch on in the Sahara.

I think "wassup" (although just a different version of the same thing) is materially different to "what's up" (on several levels, and not just in pronunciation). I do end up using "what's up" more often than "wassup"; but when I'm among some people who use "wassup", then that ratio might change.

November 22, 2014

I believe "farewell" is archaic in spoken language... and getting a little archaic in written language too.

I would say it is archaic to use it in writing when you are directly addressing someone; but I think you will see it in all kinds of contexts in general written discussion when not directly addressing anyone.

"Farewell" reminds me of the famous Ernest Hemingway novel, "A Farewell to Arms" (1929).

And do you know this?:

"So long, farewell,auf wiedersehen, good night.
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight.
So long, farewell auf wiedersehen, adieu
Adieu, adieu, to you and you and you."

Ha ha... It's an oldie...

November 21, 2014

What about farewell? is it used?

November 21, 2014

ANN: I thought I'd just show you some slight variations of hi and bye (which you may have already heard or seen):

- hi, hiya, hey
- bye, goodbye, g'bye, bye bye, bye now

Did I forget any?

November 21, 2014
Show more