Daniel
Notebook Correction Advice

I’d like to get some general advice about making corrections to the entries on the Notebook page. Are there any guidelines regarding what kind of corrections to make? Do writers get offended if you change too much of what they wrote? Do editors ever argue over the way that their corrections differ?

I’m new here and don’t want to cause any problems. I’ve done professional editing work before and I’ve found that most nonnative English writers are happy to receive constructive criticism, while native English speakers are often offended.

Here’s a recent Notebook entry: “Yesterday,l went shopping after going off work,l preferred listening to music when walking on the street.” http://www.italki.com/entry/493872

Among other things, I would change “going” to “getting” and “preferred” to “enjoy”. Is that OK or should I just stick to spelling and grammar corrections?

Thanks for any advice.

Nov 21, 2014 5:07 AM
Comments · 9

I would say just do what you think is helpful.

Here's what I think/do though:

I like to be able to see the corrections, such as them being a different colour, and ideally with any mistakes crossed out rather than removed. If there is no formatting, it can be a bit of a pain having to compare both versions. If I already have a few corrections, I tend to not even bother reading any new unformatted ones.

I think it's particularly helpful when it's made clear what are corrections and what are suggestions. Some people use different colours and a key, but all this can be time consuming. Sometimes I use ( ... ) for optional words and [ ... / ... ] for when I give a choice, but I don't know if everyone actually understands that.

Try to avoid correcting mistakes that are just differences in British English and American English, for example.

I suggest correcting depending on the language the text is written in. If someone wants to use slang in their piece, it isn't necessary to always "correct" it. Similarly if it's formal, perhaps correct informal language (but maybe tell them it's because theirs is just informal, not wrong)

Try not to just rewrite their piece unless saying so, such as at the end after "My version:".

Sometimes I correct the normal way of crossing out mistakes and adding corrections; sometimes by rewriting it all in my way (saying so though) - particularly when there are many mistakes - and sometimes I compare corrections other people have made which may conflict with each other and comment on them.

What I would say is just do what you think is helpful.

November 21, 2014

I provide editing in the manner which I prefer to receive editing e.g., structure of ideas, word flow, or "readability," and grammar. I appreciate it when Spanish editors are able to reduce my word count using synonyms or wording which is more 'appropriate.' Of course there are levels of comprehension and skill. I'm a writer, so I prefer tutoring the written language over spoken language online. Unfortunatly, there are some who critique others' assistance, which is confusing for students. I normally do not leave comments or use coloring schemes because I'm lazy, but when the student asks for an explaination I'm happy to provide details. Being a Spanish Language student myself, I can figure out the Spanish speaker's errors with English; which in turn provides me a glimpse into the mood of Spanish sayings. It is like reverse-engineering the language and I love it :) 
     Good luck, and welcome.  

November 21, 2014

I just want to add, the number of English notebooks is the much more than the number of notebooks in any other language. There are so many English notebooks that are just drowning uncorrected in the ocean. Thus, any corrections for a native speaker is always warmly welcomed.

November 21, 2014

I agree with the other commenters. Under a note you have a button to type your own correction, and I think if you are just making simple corrections (spelling, word order, verb tenses) there really isn't any need to add a comment. The student will be able to grasp the reason for your correction easily. 

I find if I also change a word, perhaps to a synonym or something that is more commonly used, it isn't always necessary to add a comment why. 

I do leave a comment if I think the student hasn't understood something and is making a mistake that they don't know they're making. I also leve a comment if I think the student needs to revise something, or if I don't understand what they've written. 

November 21, 2014

I'm non-native English speaker and I'm trying to improve it. I'm am grateful if someone corrects me the spelling, the grammar or even the style. I keep my corrections in a file, it's true that some are better for me than the other, but they are always useful because I can find different ways of saying the same thing

November 21, 2014
Show more