Jo Robson
Learning Article : Verb Patterns In English: Gerunds And Infinitives

Discuss the Article : Verb Patterns In English: Gerunds And Infinitives

<a href='/article/314/verb-patterns-in-english-gerunds-and-infinitives' target='_blank'>Verb Patterns In English: Gerunds And Infinitives</a>

Do you find it difficult to know when to use 'go', 'to go' or 'going' in english? Here are some examples and exercises to help you find your way.

Nov 21, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 24

Great article. Thanks for sharing. I'll TRY TO study harder and never STOP improvING my english.????

September 23, 2015

This article was very useful for me. Thank you. But I found several mistakes on it. And I have a question.
Stop + gerund means to finish an action in progress. In the example above if you used to go to the gym and then didn't continue doing it anymore, you stopping going to the gym.

※The end of the sentence " you stopping going to the gym " should be " you stopped going to the gym "

Other examples are remind, forget, mean and come.
※The end of the sentence " remind, forget, mean and come. " should be " remind, forget, mean and come." mean→mean(Italic)
Got it? Let's Practice!

※The number of each sentence is not shown on the WEB. When I copy and paste the sentences on note pad, the situation is the same. But when I copy and paste them on this word document directly, the numbers are shown. I don't understand the reason. But it's inconvenient not to be able to watch numbers while checking answers.
eating (to eat is also possible) 2. to study 3. to watch 4. go 5. playing / watching 6. to do 7. talking 8. to study / to listen to / to speak 9. to pass 10. eat

※Firstly there are no '1' in front of 'eating' . Secondly I thought the answer of No10 was "be/become". But an English speaker said to me that the answer to number 10 cannot be 'be/ become' because the last word is 'healthily', an adverb, not an adjective. The explanation was convincing. But it's a little confusing for Japanese people. ' Healthily'(健康的に)is an adverbial form of ' healthy '(健康的だ),a na-adjective in Japanese language. In addition to that, we don't say "You really should eat more healthily.". We say "You really should eat healthier foods." or " You have to put on healthier eating habit.". Japanese people are apt to do wrong way of answering even if they understand the usage of the infinitive. By the way, aren't 'live' and 'act' the correct answers, too?

December 1, 2014
Good job, this article is very clear.
February 27, 2019
Thanks! It helps me to revise my knowledge.
August 29, 2018
I like it!
August 5, 2018
Show more