Tulum
Naturalistic vs classroom learning

What are the differences between naturalistic learning and classroom learning? Is one better than the other? What is the role of the teacher and does learner-age make a difference to effective classroom learning?

Nov 27, 2014 8:48 AM
Comments · 2

I’m not sure if I have understood your question correctly, but here is my answer 'off the top of my head'.

‘Naturalistic’ learning could refer to one of the learning styles as originally introduced by Howard Gardner through his theory of Multiple Intelligences. The ‘naturalistic’ learner is the one who learns best through activities focused on nature, ie: they interact well with nature, animals, being outside etc. I think that this intelligence was an addition to the other 8 or 9 that he originally researched (visual, interpersonal, logical etc).

On the other hand you might be referring to the HUMANISTIC approach in education which teaches a variety of skills that we need in every day life such communication skills, decision making etc. It’s an approach that helps students believe in themselves with an emphasis on self-respect and respect for others.  This approach is, by definition, very student centred and part of the teacher's role is to create a warm environment in the classroom that increases the student's desire to learn.  I think that Carl Rogers was an influential contributor to this style and, googling his name might bring up more information that will be of use to you.

Hope that helps...sorry if I wrote too much!

November 27, 2014

Thank You very much for your time and advice Mrs.Julie

November 27, 2014