Giuseppe
Working in England!

Next september i'm going to Manchester for working, and I' like to listen the english people who live there. I love England and if you want, contact me! I swear to you that you all won't regret it.

Nov 27, 2014 10:57 AM
Comments · 4

I saw your previous question about the most 'beautiful' cities in England, and am sorry to say that Manchester isn't exactly 'beautiful'. It is, however, a large and lively city, with a good nightlife and plenty to do. Students, especially, have a lot of fun there.

Unlike Italy, England doesn't have dialects as such, but the pronunciation varies greatly from one part of the country to the next. Manchester in particular has a very distinctive accent. Two particular features of the Manchester accent, and the north in general, is that the sounds in the words 'look' and'luck' are pronounced the same, as are the sounds in 'ant' (the insect) and 'aunt' (your female relative). If you have studied standard (BBC) English, you may find the Manchester accent a little strange at first, but you will soon get used to it.

If you want to hear a typical accent from the region, see if you can find an internet clip of a  TV soap opera called 'Coronation Street'.  Also, here's a link to some films set in Manchester:

http://www.prideofmanchester.com/movies/films.htm

November 28, 2014

l don't know

November 28, 2014

I didn't understand your answer.

November 28, 2014

Manchester accent isn't like the English you hear on TV.

This isn't quite right because it's an actor, but she starts speaking with a Manchester accent at 2:00. It's more like what you'll hear in Manchester than, say, David Cameron.

November 27, 2014