Nguyen The Vu
Professional Teacher
The funniest LANGUAGE of Vietnamese

I wish to share with people who want to learn Vietnamese and who are going to learn Vietnamese, poeple who have traveled to Vietnam and people who will travel to VN. It is very funny but helpful language:

What is the different between QUÁN and CỬA HÀNG? ( both address to stores, shop )

We say: quán cà phê = cafeteria, quán nước = a shop where serve instant drinks, quán cơm = a shop serving instant rice and food along the streets,

We say CỬA HÀNG to address to grocery store, where you can buy some specific things:

bookstore : cửa hàng sách

clothes shop: cửa hàng quần áo

fruits store: cửa hàng trái cây

So QUÁN addresses to something that is very convenient,  you can stop on a pavement, sit on a chair on the pavement, and drink a glass of fresh beer IN A QUÁN BIA just right there along the street on the pavement and then jump into the car to go on with your business. For conclusion, QUÁN  is a cultural word reflecting they lifestyle of Vietnamese people, CỬA HÀNG is a formal word. For me, I like to use QUÁN much better.

Good luck and have a good trip to Vietnam.

Nguyen The Vu

Dec 2, 2014 2:15 PM
Comments · 4

Thank you, this was interesting to read! Just earlier today I found a youtube lesson based on a 'song cà phê sữa đá' and same kind of culture was mentioned. :)

December 8, 2014

Hi Vũ, Thảo here.

Why didn't you mention about "TIỆM"? =))

I'm just kidding. Our language is really funny and complicated. I used to have job of teaching Vietnamese to Foreigner and that was the most difficult and craziest job I've worked =))

But you know, I love Vietnamese so much :)

Your post is very interesting, thank you

December 16, 2014

Cảm ơn Vũ đăng bài hay.  

Bạn Junie nói đến từ "tiệm" 

Tiệm cắt tóc, tiệm sửa xe ? 

January 1, 2015

Cảm ơn Junie Nguyen, 

When I was young, I lived in the Highland of Vietnam and I used to hear Tiệm alots. But after that, I moved to Sai Gon and lived there for 10 years, later Ha Noi and Da Lat. I have rarely heard more. I have not thought out the reason. Tiệm maybe used more in before time, for the youth now they may use QUÁN more. 

January 3, 2015