Ben
Do you like to use the Beijing "er" sound in Mandarin? (儿化音)

I've noticed that there is sometimes a love-hate relationship between learners of Mandarin and the Beijing-ified "er" sound in Mandarin (儿化音, er2hua4yin1). Which camp do you fall into and why? Here are three sentences for you to consider whether or not you would pronounce it with the "er".

1.  那个运动员差点儿打破记录。

2. 我喜欢与朋友在一起聊天儿。

3. 今天没空儿,改日再谈吧。

Dec 7, 2014 3:17 AM
Comments · 14

I live in Beijing now so i started to use it more often :)

December 18, 2014

I would say the first two sentences are right. But I don't think anyone would use 没空儿, it's weird. And 儿化音 is definately not "Beijing-ified". All people in north part of china use "儿“ in our conversation. It's natural and casual, as long as it's not too much, there's not an age difference.

December 18, 2014

I agree with Dablgan. It's impressive and very rare to hear an American speak C2 Mandarin. Would you mind making a short video?

December 18, 2014

I dont like it, esecially when little kids say it, i dont know why and no offense, but i only feel alright when i hear people who are older than like, 30 ,use it.

your chinese sounds very good btw. 

December 16, 2014

All the three sentences can use 儿化  in mandarin. Actually 儿化音 is very normal in spoken Chinese mandarin. We Chinese feel very natural to use 儿化 when we talk to each other. Look at the following passage .

我出门儿去办点儿事儿。走在路上一直纳闷儿,哪儿来的好大的烟儿味儿?我刚上公交,司机师傅就紧踩油门儿,吓得我好像丢了魂儿,头也碰破了皮儿,脚也抽了筋儿。

December 7, 2014
Show more