Ben
Is learning Japanese or Chinese harder for English speakers?

Do you think that learning Japanese or Chinese is harder for native English speakers? I've been studying Chinese for about 8 years now, and just started learning some Japanese recently. It seems to be very difficult. Which language do you think is harder for native English speakers?

Dec 13, 2014 4:27 PM
Comments · 4

Well, I'm a native speaker of Portuguese. I would say that Japanese and Chinese is harder for any native speaker of any European language. If you google articles about it, you will find that the top 4 hardest languages for English speakers to learn are: Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Arabic (not necessarily in that order). However, if you're already fluent at Chinese, learning to read and write Japanese will be way less harder. For me, Japanese is very easy to pronounce, but it has a complex grammar. In the other hand, Chinese has a fairly simple grammar, compared to many languages, but the tonal pronunciation makes it difficult.

February 20, 2015

你好,我是一名来自中国的中学生,生在学习英语和日语,希望能得到您的帮助。(当然英语是有一定基础的,但是日语只停留在五十音。)

February 20, 2015

The japanese is harder because of its grammers @-@

But in the same time the chinese characters are more diffecult because they are so much (about 6500 one @-@)

December 13, 2014

I'd say Japanese is easier since the pronunciation is fairly straightforward (it isn't tonal). Japanese also has the easy to learn kana systems in addition to the kanji so it is easy to get to a level where you are reading simple words and signs and words borrowed from English.

December 13, 2014