Marilenium
Community Tutor
Giving tip?

Hey there, 

I'm gonna write in English everyone will be able to participate. 

Every time I'm in another country, I wonder how to give tips there. For example, here in Austria it works like this: Before leaving the café/restaurant/whatever you're sitting in, you (obviously) request for the bill. When they bring it to you and tell you how much you have to pay, you give them the money and tell them the amount you want to give them. For example, you have to pay 12,50€, but you want to give them a tip, you may say "14, please.", so they keep those 1,50€. I hope it's understandable what I wrote.

So tell me, how do people give tips in your area/country? Help me and others to feel safe when visiting restaurants in other countries.

Best regards

Dec 17, 2014 6:45 PM
Comments · 3

There's no tipping in Japan. Everytime I return to the US and must return to tipping, it seems like a more and more barbaric custom.

December 17, 2014

In Australia it's easy: we don't tip. To us a tip should be a reward for extraordinarily good service, so it seems bizarre to us to tip people for things they're paid to do anyway and we generally think people that expect a tip think much too highly of themselves.

When we pay by cash we sometimes say "keep the change" to make things easier and save time, but it's never expected.

December 17, 2014

If you go to Russia someday (who knows?) and after having your meal, a waiter will give you a bill 12.50€ (for example) and leave you alone. You will pay 20€ (you are very rich and don't have coins:))). Then the waiter will take your bill, give you change and leave you alone again. If you want you may leave 10% or keep all your money for yourself...depends on you. No one will stand next to you and count how much money you will pay. It is always surprise to them)))))))))))

December 17, 2014