My.
What do you think of hunting dolphins and Whaling?

One day, in a restaurant, when I and my friends were chatting, My friend (he was not a Japanese) told me and the other Japanese friends what the Japanese negative perception is.

He liked us, though. He said that it was hunting dolphins or whaling.

In objectively, he gave us bit of advice, saying "you guys have to know your negative perception and think what the other countries' people think of you guys"

Because today hunting dolphins and whales became a popular topic of criticism.

That was really awkward moment for me, and felt like climbing the walls (I just said you have point there, though.) because there is contradictory things in there, but I want to know the opinions of others. What do you think of this topic?

Oh, I never eaten these creature before.

Dec 18, 2014 5:42 PM
Comments · 45

Because whales and dolphins are near extinction. And If i see a person who killing them, i would say "Hey moron, you haven't a right to destroy a species. I want my child could see a whale in the future."

But chickens, cows or pigs aren't in endangered.

December 19, 2014

I just want to play the Devils advocate here and provone a response. I want to make you guys think a little bit.

So why is it ok to eat certain animals but others are not ok?

why are chickens cows and pigs ok to eat? they can be domesticated too. 

people eat all kinds of animals.

maybe some people don't want to eat dolphin because they are friendly.

are deer not friendly? why is it ok to eat deer?

people have fish as pets but yet we eat a lot of fish 

we eat many kinds of birds too and that's not a problem. 

What makes one animal "off limits" but another one is fine?

whats your opinion?

December 19, 2014

I agree with Amanda and Garrett. It is Japan's tradition. In my country there are people like Amanda and Garrett when discuss about eatting dog. Some said dogs are human's friend so it is cruel for eatting your friend.

Some said who identify these can eat those can't? no one. Some country eat snail. Is it cruel? no.

In my eyes it just social norm to identify what should eat what shouldn't. I just worry about number of its in nature. If it nearly extinction. You shouldn't hunt it.

December 19, 2014

The comparison to animals raised specifically for their meat is a little stale. No, it's not the same. Chickens aren't going extinct if we keep eating them. Dolphins and whales, try raising them on Japanese farms and you won't hear a thing from me. I'd have more problems with people eating animals that are still alive. That's not just cruel to the animal, it borders on the clinically insane.

December 22, 2014

One cannot equate hunting dolphins and whales with eating chickens and cows.  The latter are farmed/bred for that purpose.

As for eating dogs, each to his own, however the method of killing dogs for the pot is what really upsets me. It is not humane.

How about the illegal poaching of the rhinos in South Africa?  To kill a huge animal just for it's horn and the "supposed medicinal advantages" of such horn is ludricous.  It has been proven time and again that rhino horn has no medical value whatsoever.  However, this species is facing extinction at the whims of eastern beliefs!

December 22, 2014
Show more