Paula
Cambridge or Brighton? I want help!

Helloo, I am getting ready for an exchange programm to England next year in August! I am so anxious and happy! I am sure that will be a remarkable experience! :D

However, I didn't decide the city where I am going. I have research a lot and I realised that the cost of living in England is really high! So, I would likt to know if there is people here who have already lived in Cambridge or Brighton and could say to me which one of this are more expensive. I am interested in know which one is more expensive in food, transportation, entertainement and which one is better to travel to anothers countries too. I have where to live in this both cities so the cost of housing is not relevant.  One important point is the localization of the citie too because I want to travel to others countries during my exchange to get the most of this experience, to get contact which differents cultures and places.

:) 

PS: Sorry about my english! :x 

Dec 18, 2014 6:33 PM
Comments · 4

If you want nightlife, attractions and entertainment, then Brighton is better, without a doubt. Cambridge is beautiful, but it's much smaller. Apart from the university, and its many beautiful historic  buildings, there is actually very little in Cambridge. Brighton isn't as pretty as Cambridge, but it's a lively seaside resort with twice the population of Cambridge, and far more bars, pubs and clubs for young people. Students who come to Brighton to study end up staying for ever, because they have so much fun here.

Both cities are used to overseas visitors, as they are both tourist destinations with a well-developed foreign language student infrastructure. In Cambridge especially, when the university is closed over the summer months, almost everyone you meet there is a foreign exchange student. Brighton is a very cosmopolitan city, with residents from every corner of the globe.

Neither city has a particularly distinctive accent. In fact, you'd be unlikely to notice the difference between the way people speak from one part of south-east England to the next. There's no reason for you to have difficulty understanding anyone from either city.

Brighton and Cambridge are both fairly small cities that are easy to get around on foot. In fact, you wouldn't want to have a car in either place. Both have crowded city centres with narrow streets, which are difficult to drive in and often impossible to park in.  Walk, cycle or take a bus.

December 18, 2014

Hi Paula

I know both of these cities well, both to live and to work in, so I'm in a good position to compare them and tell you anything you'd like to know.

I don't think that there is much of a difference in prices between the two. Both are tourist cities around an hour's journey from London, and they are both relatively expensive compared with other areas of Britain.

With regard to travelling to other countries, again there is very little difference. Both are close to London if you want to take the Eurostar through the tunnel to France. Brighton is on the south coast, so you are obviously nearer to the channel if you want to take a boat over to the contintent.

For air travel, Cambridge is close to Stansted airport and not too far from Luton airport to the north of London, while Brighton has Gatwick - the UK's second airport - within easy reach. They're about the same distance from the UK's first airport, Heathrow, to the west of London.

For visiting other parts of the UK, Cambridge is more centrally located than Brighton. However, as most long-distance travel by rail to other parts of the country often involves travelling into London first, there isn't really a lot to choose between the two locations in that regard.

There are several other key differences between the two cities, but I don't know what your priorities are, so I'll let you ask the questions. Please ask if there's anything else you'd like to know.

December 18, 2014

I've spent some time in both cities as well, though not recently, but I can confirm everything that Su.Ki is saying. Personally, I prefer Brighton's openness for personal reasons, but Cambridge is also a wonderful place to study. 

December 18, 2014

Thank you so much for the answer, Su.Ki! I do not intend to work during my period in England. So I am more interested to know which citie has a better nightlife, more attractions, well, entertainment in general. Also which one is more receptive to foreigners. If they have a strong accent (I watch an video about accents and the people from Liverpool are so difficult to understand). Also which one it is easier to get around when you don't have a car is also a important point.

December 18, 2014