Olga
Why is my name OLGA if I am not from Russia?

Everyone ask me if I have relatives in Russia because of my name that is not commom in Brazil, but now I will explain the history behind my name.

In 1980's in Brazil my parents liked the comunist philosophy and they join the group which founded the PT (Partido dos trabalhadores), the party of the current Brazil's republic president Dilma Rousseff.

Well, during those days they gained a book wrote by Fernando Morais titled OLGA. The book told the history of Olga Benário Prestes, who was a German Jewish, comunist and that lived in Russia and fought for a good world into her own conception, everyone has an own conception about what is better or not, she wasnt a exception. She tryed to establish communism in brazil with her husband, Luis Carlos Prestes, an important captain of Brazil in a episode called "Intentona Comunista", during the government of the dictator Getulio Vargas in 1935. At that time Getulio (president and dictator of Brazil) was sympathetic to the Hittler's government and sent Olga Benário to Nazi Germany where she was arrested in a concentration camp and died in a gas chamber.

In her last letter she wrote the sentence: " Lutei pelo justo, pelo bom e pelo melhor para mundo".

It means: "I fought at fair, the well and the best for the world".

Well, My parents liked and cried with the history and then in 1988 my mom was pregnant and they decided that if I were a girl I would named Olga in honour to Olga Benário Prestes.

Dec 19, 2014 12:36 AM
Comments · 18

@Olga - I thought you were named after the great Russian gymnast, Olga Korbut. She was such a cutie.

December 19, 2014

"But your post, was written in such way, that many persons, who are ignorants and have no idea about the 1930's, 1940's reality,...etc.----Kuba

That is exactly  right.   Olga  wrote a lovely and personal account about how she came to be given a  Russian name.

Her  account  does not necessitate  that she  inform  the "ignorant"   about something you refer to as a "reality".    Olga is discussing the reality of her name.  If you wish to inform the "ignorant" about a  certain kind of "reality"  then by all means,  start your own discussion topic and inform the world about your reality.      You have no rational justification  for  accusing   Olga   of being "indecent" or "offensive" when that is the specific character of your own communications here.

False accusations  on your part do not establish  credibility for you.

December 23, 2014

May I ask what was offensive in my post? I was not saying about any event from Brazilian history but about the history of 1930's and 1940's. As I wrote, there was no gas chambers, until 1942. This person was gassed, not in the gas chamber but in euthanasia facility.

Sorry, but level of education of Brazilians, Americans, but also other people living outside Europe is very, very poor. I remember Obama statemant about his uncle who "liberated Auschwitz". Yeah right, and Nazis came from the Mars.

Education, dear people, education, person should learn whole life. I did not want to be offensive against anyone but want only encourgage people to have some decency and respect for the history and real facts, not pseudo-facts, manipulation, propaganda.

December 22, 2014

Thanks to Olga I try to read something more about the Getulio Vargas's period. I recommend Olga but also other people to read something about Witold Pilecki, truly braverous person, who was killed by the communist regime (brought to Poland by the Soviets, naturally)in 1947.

I am against both nazism and communism ( I don't differ between Soviet Union and Nazi Germany, there were both, criminal countries with criminal ideology), but I understand than in 1920's and 1930's there were people, also in South America who supporter one side or the another. Mexico for example was under communist threat, Chile was nearly communist, during the Allende regime, Argentina was nearly a fascist state.

I am an ignorant about South American/Latin American history but don't teach me or other people history of the WWII events in Europe, please.

December 22, 2014

Do you mind if I suggest an improvement to your translation of Olga Benário Prestes' words?

Lutei pelo justo, pelo bom e pelo melhor para mundo

I fought for what is just, for what it good, and for what is best for the world.

Thank you for sharing your story, Olga. I hope that you are proud of your name.

December 19, 2014
Show more