Julia
If I delete a private message on italki, is it really gone?

Hey guys

I have sent a private message to someone through italki and I would like to "withdraw" it.

I see that there is a "delete" button. Does it really delete the message or is it just to tidy up my screen :D?.

It`s not a big deal if the message was sent after all, I can simply send a second (edited) message but it makes me wonder whether the messages really don`t arrive to the destination in this case.

Thank you

Dec 22, 2014 11:34 AM
Comments · 6

I don't think so. I think it worked like Email system. Once you send it, it's gone. But I am not sure though.

December 22, 2014

When you send a message the person recieves it in his message box and a copy of this message appears in your message box. When you delete a message you delete your single copy. You are not allowed to modify another user's box (delete messages etc). I've tested it (creating two temporary  accounts) So I can say that Comandante, Andi, and Mumtaz are right.

December 22, 2014

I agree with Comendante and Andi, it'll be deleted only from your side but the other person will still see your message and I'm so sure of it. Sending an edited message is the best thing to do :)

December 22, 2014

As far as I know, the message you delete will only be deleted on your side. The other person will still see your message. It would be best to send an update. 

December 22, 2014

Ok, thank you guys. I simply know one website where you can delete private messages on both sides.

So, italki is apperently not doing this. Anyway, that`s no big deal :D.

Thank you

December 22, 2014
Show more