Flora
Christmas traditions?

First merry X-MAS!!
It would be very interesting to talk about your traditions, in your countries. When and how do you celebrate.....?

Dec 25, 2014 5:35 PM
Comments · 5

In Thailand there are people who celebrate base on religion and base on international celebration. By religion each area in Thailand have difference ceremony. In my province, Chanthaburi, before Christmas about one week they had small procession bring figurine of the infant Jesus to each house. The choristers sing a song. Each member of house kiss figurine of the infant Jesus and then priest bless each memeber of that house.

In Sakol Nakorn province there are the star parade. They claimed that this is the biggest the star parade in the world. They are cars decorated with the big star as seen in this link https://www.google.com/search?q=%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%88+%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%AB%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7&biw=1366&bih=657&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yOucVLr5OpaOuATLhoDICQ&ved=0CBsQsAQ .

December 26, 2014

Hello,

I'm from the United States but I've been traveling around the world for a few years now. Currently I'm married and living in China. I can say that the Chinese and United States cultures are very different and quite opposite. The Chinese culture bases its holidays off the lunar calendar while the United States bases them off the solar calendar. However, the Chinese culture still uses the solar calendar in their everyday lives. I'd have to say that the United States culture has holidays based around “freedom” and “Christianity”. As for the Chinese culture, it bases its holidays on traditional stories passed down from generation to generation. There is a huge difference in their cultures as in the Chinese culture is about 5,000 years old whereas the United States is only about 500 years old.

I personally don't celebrate holidays. I was brought up in a religious family and after traveling around the world and seeing all these different cultures, I started to see how arbitrary and subjective holidays/religion was and how corporations started to monopolize on them. I'd preferably try to spend time with friends and family as much as possible rather than using a holiday as an excuse to blow money and get together with them.

December 26, 2014

In Russia we will selebrate Crismas on the 7 of January. On the 6 January evening we are going to chuch, and in the morning  7 of junary all relatives gather at the holiday table and eating testy food and wish each other Myry Cristmas. that is all))) 

December 25, 2014

Here in China,people just go out on the main streets to spray snow from a container on anyone they meet.The scene is fascinating!

December 26, 2014

Oh wow... this decoration looks fantastic!!
In South Tyrol (Italy) we have compared to america only a little christmastree with less decoration.
Furthemore we have a christmas wreath, which has four candles. Bevore Christmas we also have four sundays. So at each sunday one of the candles is lit.
In this link you will see a typical christmas wreath from South Tyrol: http://der-laden.biz/wp-content/gallery/weihnachtskranze/img_8132.jpg
We celebrate Christmas on the evening of the 24th december. Many people eat salmone and, of course, a lot of cookies.
On the 25th of december the whole family meets again and celebrates with a feast.

December 26, 2014