Amber
Same difference or not?

The sentence"I think motor racing is very exciting." I was wondering if I could put it that way as "I get a big kick from motor racing." Does this sentence mean the same as the former one? Seeking for help. :)

Dec 26, 2014 8:13 AM
Comments · 2

Thank you for ur comment, Neil. It's really helpful.

December 26, 2014

Preliminarily, the usual form of the idiom is, "to get a kick <em>out of</em> (something)".  To get a kick out of (something) means to enjoy something, usually very much.

With this in mind, I think that the two sentences are different in the following way.  The first sentence means that you have concluded that motor racing is very "exciting," but does not automatically mean that you enjoy it.  You might think that motor racing is exciting, but don't enjoy it, because you also think that it very dangerous, or simply unimportant.  The second sentence ("I get a big kick from motor racing") means that motor racing gives you enjoyment, but doesn't automatically mean that you enjoy it because it is exciting.  You may enjoy it for another reason, such as you greatly admire the skill of the drivers, or the amazing engineering of the race cars.

December 26, 2014