[Deleted]
Self Studying

I've been studying English for 8years academically and I've never thought about learning it by my own.I know many people who did this and surprisingly,they have succeeded!But I have no idea how I can learn other languages by myself.if u have had the same experience,plz share it.

Dec 26, 2014 9:14 PM
Comments · 5

I have learned several languages by myself and I found that the most important thing is dedication: if you keep up your motivation and keep spending time on the language, you will learn it. The actual methods and materials you use are secondary, though obviously some are more efficient than others (hint: Rosetta Stone is a waste of time & money).

December 27, 2014

Hi Shadi, I am one of these persons.

One thing one cannot change, and that personality. And I am someone who likes puzzle things out for himself, and who does not really like to work in groups. The latter is not necessarely a good thing, but it helps with self study.

Another thing is my region. I am from the Netherlands, and we are a small country with loads of commerce and traffic with other countries. We have a big port, there is a lot of transport and contacts with people from the UK, from Germany, from France. Hence you quickly hear the pronounciation and even as a child you pick up something, and you speak a little English, German, sometimes even French for example on holiday. Since the largest problem studying a language on your own, is getting the pronounciation right, I have already bypassed that as a child. I already knew much of the pronounciation of those languages before they thought me how to write them at high school age. Again, this probably does not help you, right? Sorry.

But if you are a person who likes to work with other people, and who has problems with the oral skills, you are probably obliged to take lessons. Or get a language partner that speaks the language you want to learn without accent. Well the teachers should have a job too! :-)

December 27, 2014

Adam,I do agree with yr last sentence!

December 27, 2014

To have the basic language level is more important and you can find out the way by yourself.

Our second language is English at school taught by English teacher until secondary school, should be more possibly to study on our own after high school, is a span for yet more sophisticated writing we can purchase English grammar books and study by our self, subsequent to consolidated grammar skills so that English students need to study grammar schools also, as I know. 

Perhpas you need a guider first with whom you can learn in the basic grammar necessary. 

December 27, 2014

I think It's depending on a variety of variables, including person's existing English proficiency, primary language literacy level, and the quality of the instruction they receive.

December 26, 2014