‎Adam
I am good at reading & listening but worse at speaking English

Hi,

How do i improve my speaking strength? I can easily understand the speaker, I have good vocabulary also but struggling when it comes to speaking, can't even speak a single sentence properly. please help me.

Thanks.

Dec 27, 2014 4:14 AM
Comments · 6

It is totally common that <em>passive</em> skills, listening, reading are easier than <em>active</em> skills like speaking and writing. It is even so in non language skills. For example it is relatively easy to follow a calculation in maths, if somebody does the steps for you on the blackboard. But if you get an assigment yourself, and have to create the solution, that is a whole different ball game!

So I would not worry too much, and just keep on practicing.

December 27, 2014

How often do you get the opportunity to speak? Lagging behind in spoken language is not uncommon. Many people worry about their grammar when speaking instead of concentrating on getting their message across- don't let worrying about mistakes inhibit you. Making mistakes is part of the learning process.

December 27, 2014

If you are quite good at writing then it might be also a problem of confidence in my view.

What's the difference between a written sentence and a spoken one ?

December 27, 2014

Adam:

Practicing with    Nursery Rhymes will greatly assist you.

Also, if you  choose a pleasant sounding song, and print out the lyrics in English for reading,  study, and also singing, you will find that English phrases and sentences  will naturally form for you from memory.

December 27, 2014

Hello Adam,

My boyfriend is a native Spanish speaker, and he too says that spoken English is the most difficult for him. However, by talking to me every day in English, and practicing his English aloud when no one else is listening, he has improved his English considerably. I have over 5 years experience tutoring him, as well as friends of mine from all over the world. Send me a private message if you are interested in doing a trial class with me on Skype.

Regards,

Erin

December 27, 2014
Show more