[Deleted]
Writing Skills Suggestion/Improvement.

I have to improve my writing skills.Specailly the idea how I should  start what things I have to see and How I describe.What i say to it creative and Comprehensive writing.My Problem is that I rush on the topic without organizing and it always curse me.I did my IELTS Exam and I got 6 in wiriting its need to improved but i think I haven't Organize it well.So I will be thankful if anyone help me.

Dec 27, 2014 3:01 PM
Comments · 5

Hi, 

I agree with Mirzade, his subdivision is well done. I also agree with him that there are several types of essays and you have to understand which type would be of help for you.

I reccomand you take a look at this short and amazing book: "On Writing Well, 30th Anniversary Edition: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction", you'll find it in pdf.

You have to be very concise and clear, my native language for example, is extremely rhetorical and won't be of much help. English has to flow with ease.  

You could also get inspiration from the aristotelian rhetoric, at least you can see how certain patterns in discourse re-occur and are organized, no matther what you're writing.

If someday you want to deepen your argumentation skills you should really add this to your bookshelf: 

The New Rhetoric, C. Perelman 

Bye!

December 27, 2014

Hi !

I sit on ielts before and i got 6.0 overall score. Unfortunately i didn't understand their assessment way for writing ! i searched many times and found essays which evaluated by IELTS examiners..to be honest,  before the exam i was thinking i can get 7.0+ on writing section..also my tutor was everytime evaluating my essays range of 6.5-7.5 .

The essay organizing is mainly problem for each participants on the ielts exam. Because you have only 40 min for writing task 2 and you should write all of things with introduction, development and conclusion parts..
my tactic was on agree-disagree topics 
1) Introduction paragraph = Paraphrasing of the topic with large scale vocabularies
2) Opposite idea but i would give its opposite ideas on last sentences
3) Supported idea with examples.
4) Conclusion. note : you should not any new idea or discuss on the conclusion part .

but you know there are a lot of types essays ; discussion,opinion, comparetive , give a new idea or more technical-scientific essays..so you should make more practice considering with different types of essays.
Good Lucks ! 

December 27, 2014

Also,  develop the Mind Mapping or Concept Mapping technique. At some point in your study,

you will find a key idea.  write in in the center of the page of your notebook.  As you continue to read

(and think)  other ideas will come to you as a result of your  study.  Draw lines away from the first idea in the center of the page, and draw another circle with your new idea. By a series of lines and circles,  begin to connect the ideas.  Don't worry about a specific pattern Just create freely,  associations between words of all kinds.

Also,  begin to cultivate "feelings" about words.  Use Crayons or Colored Pens or Pencils to write certain words so that you develop the "feeling" of the word.    Write some words in  capitals.  Those will be for you,  power words.    Draw little pictures  in your notebook  and in your Mind-Maps or Concept Maps.

There is a special techniqe for developing power  in communication. 

It has   three specific elements designated  TWO EXTREMES and a MIDDLE or MIDDLING VALUE.

(1)  FIND  any "identity". (2)  Find its OPPOSITE. 

(3) Find the MIDDLING VALUE between the two extremes.

This will enable you to formulate your own thoughts with clarity.

In summary,  study everything I have written here.    Make this vocabulary your vocabulary.

December 27, 2014

When you can identify basic assumptions as to what is true

and what is false in human experience, you will begin to establish a foundation of ideas and the necessary vocabulary to communicate those ideas. Each person either develops or fails to develop their own "working" vocabulary.

This may seem difficult  as a  proposition, but it is not so hard.  Find some inexpensive paperback  book of non-fiction.  It does not need to be something difficult.  It should have some sort of argument

FOR or AGAINST some proposition however.  Some work citing an Ethic of some sort would serve well.

A book about some social concern or problem  would also serve well.

Use a simple notebook with it.  Write in your paperback also, in the margins,and highlight words or phrases or references to ideas.   Learn the vocabulary employed by the author.  Develop your own agreements or disagreements to the idea.  What you should not do, is treat the author's book  and the ideas as either "true" or "sacred".  That is why you buy a cheap book that you can mark up.

When the author  makes a statement, challenge it.

Ask yourself;   "Is---That---True?"   or

"Is---That----Fact?"

As you read,   begin  making notes of any words or phrases which seem to give the author a kind of

Power  to communicate forcefully.

December 27, 2014

I can advise you to abandon your reading of fiction and focus upon  reading non-fiction.

Of course, if you only intend to  engage in "description" using flowery language, of course  fictional works can aid you.  

The IELTS will demand that you demonstrate some sort of an opinion or some sort of PERSUASIVE writing. That is why you will need to focus on non-fiction and the vocabulary found in non-ficitonal publications.  Here are some links to some further suggestions.

Everything begins with an assumption.

What do you assume to be fact or truth?

You will need to identify within yourself, Scientific Assumptions, Philosophical Assumptions, Religious Assumptions,

Legal Assumptions, Historical Assumptions, Artistic Assumptions,

and so forth and so on.
What things do you refer to generally, as False?

When you can identify What---You---Know, then you have a foundation.
You must then know these things in the English Language.

Let's look at some basic examples of basic subjects in life,

that you should be able to decide.

(a) Is there a God?
(b) Should we accept what other people say without question?
(c) Is the Universe Finite or Infinite?
(d) Do human beings have rights? What rights do human beings have?
(e) Is there such a thing as a Higher Consciousness?
(f) Is Matter, Energy, Space, and Time all that exists?
(g) Is Love the answer to anything?
(h) Does human life have value?

December 27, 2014