熊力/برنارد/Bernhard
Zwischen den Jahren

"Zwischen den Jahren" is an expression which I know only in German language. Ok, I can translate it with "between the years" but do you actually understand what that means? In German, this expression describes the days of December 27 until December 30. Christmas is over, but the new year has not come yet. So, German people feel like being "between the old and the new year". Also, this shows that in Germany most shops must close for Christmas and New Year's day (national holiday on December 25/26 and January 1), this is some kind of break from normal life for the whole country.

What are your thoughts about this?

Dec 28, 2014 11:17 AM
Comments · 10

In Canada and the USA the marketing term Boxing Week (oh dear!) covers 26-31 December. It was a jarring neologism ten years ago, but I think it'll take over from Christmas Week which now sounds a bit archaic.

December 28, 2014

I don't know any U.S. English phrase for this, which is interesting because we could use one. It seems to me that we say one of two things. We use the straightforward, clumsy, phrase, "the week between Christmas and New Years." Or, since it is fairly common for schools to close during that week, it is fairly common to call it "the Christmas break" or "the winter break."

December 28, 2014

I think perhaps Germans concern more about the Christmas rather than the new years' day,haha

我觉得这也是一种对宗教的情感。

December 28, 2014

I must admit I never heard any of those I believe... (Living in Brandenburg and Niedersachsen)also I probably would understand it if I heard it .... it is a very unique phrase used in certain areas as it seems.

January 8, 2015

hello my dear how are you doing, i am contact is because i like you love is between two people please i will like you to contact my contact so i will tell you more about me because i am not always come online is why i need you to contact me, [email protected]

January 6, 2015
Show more