Itay
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : 3 Free Websites To Help You Brush Up On German Grammar

Discuss the Article : 3 Free Websites To Help You Brush Up On German Grammar

<a href='/article/340/3-free-websites-to-help-you-brush-up-on-german-grammar' target='_blank'>3 Free Websites To Help You Brush Up On German Grammar</a>

Language learning should be fun and interesting. As for German grammar, this should also be the case. The fact is that many students simply don't like studying boring tables with conjugations and declensions of verb tenses and the infamous case system.

Dec 23, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 11

Great suggestions Itay. Thanks for sharing. It is a shame that sites with so much great content usually have such a poor user interface (sometimes even painful for the eyes :)).

One of my favourites sites/tool to practice german is "memrise" (<a href="http://www.memrise.com">www.memrise.com</a>). You can create your list of words and use their application on your tablet or phone to interact with the new words (or search for "courses" created by others).

Cheers,

n-

January 6, 2015

I have found Duolingo (www.Duolingo.com) to be helpful. The site is sometimes critiqued for lacking detailed grammar instruction, but the exercises gradually integrate increasingly difficult grammar examples as a way of gently prodding the learner to properly use the language. In addition, each question has a Comment section where the student can post questions about grammar. 

Thank you for posting this helpful article!

October 20, 2016

Great suggestions. Thank you! One thing I use as a student is Anki. It's a smart flashcard app that doesn't only help you memorize words and phrases but also retain that vocabulary in your long-term memory which is awesome. 

I am a Spanish teacher here on Italki and many of my students use it and they simply love the fact that they are learning effectively.

October 20, 2016

Hi everybody! I suggest this page: http://www.thegermanprofessor.com/category/learning-german/grammar-learning/

In the section "Grammar" the "German Professor" offers some good article... have fun! :-)

August 28, 2015
There is certainly a danger of being overly concerned about grammar on one side and not caring enough about grammar on the other. Duolingo (mentioned by several) is an example of this second kind. An example of the first kind is when a student wants to know ever detail of a sentence when we're trying to learn common phrases, or illustrate a different point.

<ul><li>Why is it <em>dir</em> in Wie geht es dir?</li><li>Why is it Gut<em>en</em> Tag, but Gut<em>e</em> Nacht?</li></ul>

Or while explaining accusative, the student wants to know how to say "I drink the coffee with my mother" and asks:
<ul><li>Why is it meiner Mutter? (Ich trinke den Kaffee mit meiner Mutter.)</li></ul>

There are often simple answers, but there are appropriate times to "play" with the language or to focus on single elements - such las learning basic phrases or direct objects -- and trust that the rest will make sense later. Where I disagree with your presentation in the article, however, is the suggestion that worrying about endings is a "waste of time".

I suspect that we fundamentally agree - and that it's bad to worry <em>too much</em> about endings - but how much is too much and how much is enough is often a balancing act - and subjective.
February 19, 2020
Show more