Chris Trofin
Learning Article : Understanding The Verb 'To Get' In English

Discuss the Article : Understanding The Verb 'To Get' In English

<a href='/article/342/understanding-the-verb-to-get-in-english' target='_blank'>Understanding The Verb 'To Get' In English</a>

The most popular verb used nowadays in English is the verb "to get". There are many different situations and many phrasal verbs in which this verb is used as well. In this article, I will try and help you determine the various meanings of the verb "to get", and hopefully give you the confidence necessary to make it a part of your vocabulary.

Dec 30, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 44

Alberto, you can use "get on". For example, if you wanted someone to move from one place to another - get on the floor, get on the table. The difference between "get off" and "get down" is best understood by referring to height. You would only use get down if someone is above you, or on something raised off the floor. You can also use get off, both would be correct. But if someone is on the same level as you, you would not use get down - you would use get off - for example, get off the grass, get off the floor, get off the carpet.

January 5, 2015

Thanks guys i knew you would get it hahah well thanks for reading and hopefully it helped!

January 7, 2015

I got this article. Thank you,  it's very useful. 

January 6, 2015

Your article is very easy to understand thanks to the examples that you put there, but i have these doubts: I think I can use "get on" in, for example "get on the floor", is it correct? if it's yes, when can I use "get on"?. The another question is what is the difference between "get off" and "get down"?

Thanks for sharing your article.

January 5, 2015

Hello Chris, 

Really I liked your article about the use of to get, it is clear and easy to understand, just I have one point to translate sentence: I don't get along with him ( Él no me cae bien, or, No me llevo bien con él ).

Gracias por el artículo... Saludos

Marta Sánchez

January 3, 2015
Show more