Samuel Lickiss
मैं and हम - I and We

Hi all, 

I'm learning Hindi and I'm a bit confused about the words in the title. I know मैं means I and and that हम means we. However, sometimes I hear/readहम being used where I think it should be मैं . I don't know if this is just a colloquial use of the language or if I'm missing some grammar. 

I know I sometimes say things like "pass us the salt" when that is technically incorrect (it should be "pass me the salt"). Is it sort of like that?

Jan 7, 2015 10:46 PM
Comments · 5

I agree , It isn't incorrect. It's a way some people have of referring to themselves - rather archaic now, but endearing nonetheless.  It is also quite common in certain regions. 

My suggestion would be to use मैं . Just keep in mind that you may hear हम being used sometimes and that it may mean "I" 

January 22, 2015

It isn't incorrect. It is a more respectful way of referring to yourself. It even sounds sweet if it is a child using the "hum" form rather than the "main" form. I am rather fond of the sound of "hum" used in the first person singular.

January 22, 2015

check out this video, its gonna help you alot in leaning hindi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxFiXA-Q0F0

July 17, 2016

You would find the word हम being used as a first person singular typically by royalty etc or in specific dialects such as Bihari Hindi.

January 23, 2015

Some people use 'हम' even though they mean 'I'. It is not correct gramatically to use 'हम' for 'I'.

January 8, 2015