Jacquie
Learning Korean is hard

I have been trying to learn Korean for the last few months, and at first I felt like I was doing well, but now I've hit a wall. I'm getting frustrated trying to understand the grammar. I am planning my first trip back to Korea this year, and I'm so nervous that I won't be able to communicate at all. I don't want to get discouraged though! Does anyone have any study tips and tricks? I'll settle for words of encouragement!  

Jan 16, 2015 7:47 PM
Comments · 8

안녕하세요

저는 어떻게 한국어 공부하는 것 시작했어요,

How I started,

Talking Korean, I anything I already learnt to Korean people on Conversation exchange websites.

저는 한국어사람 언어 교환 사이트에서 찾고 아무거나 한국어 배운 거 한국사람과 함께 연습했어요.

memrise.com - 단어 - Words

talktomeinkorean.com - 문법/단어 - words/vocab

howtostudykorean.com - 문법/단어 words/vocab

Focusing on vocab is a good idea, but I think it's more useful to see the word in a complete sentence so you understand the use of the word. So make sure to also use lots of examples.

한국어 문장 많이 읽어 주세요!

걱정 말고 포기 마세요 :)

감사합니다

January 16, 2015

This book is helpful: "500 Basic Korean Verbs" by Kyubyong Park. Learning the different ways to conjugate verbs is a big part of learning Korean. Another good one is "Korean Grammar in Use". It is good for learning grammar. Both books are filled with useful vocabulary which are presented in actual sentences. Of course nothing beats practicing in the real world...

January 17, 2015

Can't give much in the way of specific tips as I'm only a beginner in Korean myself, but personally I'd focus on learning vocabulary.  With a large number of words you can pick them out in sentences and put them together, even in the wrong order with tenses people will generally understand. "where large building trains to-go" is awful but people will be able to help you and understand.

Personally I've had great success using a Spaced Repetition System on my Mac/iPad/iPhone for learning vocabulary this past 6 months.  I use Mental Case, but others are available :-)

And for words of encouragement - go for it, you'll love it!!!

January 16, 2015

I know how you feel. I use everything to study.

Talk to Me in Korean - grammar

How to Study Korean - grammar and vocab

ScribeKorean - vocabulary flashcard app (spaced repetition)

Integrated Korean Textbooks - grammar and vocab

Dramafever (Korean dramas) - to listen to language in context

Kpop - to pick out vocab and grammar points I've learned

Sticky Notes - littered about my walls with new vocab words

Sims FreePlay - free iPad app that enables Korean language

voakorea.com English with Yoo - provides transcript of English and Korean conversation that I use to mimic natural flow and pronunciation

Rosetta Stone - vocab (I don't like it for grammar)

Language Partners from iTalki - I used to meet with someone once a week and that helped a lot

When I'm alone, I try to think and talk in Korean. I also drill myself on grammar points.

I hope some of these ideas help. 할 수 있어요!

January 21, 2015

Watch korean movies and dramas. Thats how I'm learning hehe 

January 17, 2015
Show more