[Deleted]
Romanization

I am learning Korean and I already know how to read Hangul.

The problem is when I'm studying some books and sites include the romanization in their lessons. I guess romanization is helpful for those who can't read hangul but it confuses me and makes me really frustrated. (I try not to look but it's hard not to peek haha) Some of my friends who are learning Korean still romanize and are suprised it doesn't make things easier for me. 

Does anyone else have problems or get annoyed with romanization? 

Jan 19, 2015 1:24 AM
Comments · 10

간단한 한국어 문장을 만들도록 할께요.

한글은 과학적인 문자라 배우기가 쉽습니다.

세종대왕덕분에 누구나 한글을 금방 배울 수 있답니다.

한국의 로마자표기범을 배우기가 여간 어렵지 않아요.

한글 화이팅!

If a beginning student chooses to use Romanization to learn, he should do so for not more than a week. Any longer than that and the habit is hard to break.  However, it is possible to learn to read Korean without relying on Romanization at all.  What do you need? A really good website with audio files or a teacher practically in your back pocket (at least for a few days).  :P

January 19, 2015

Like everyone else, I agree! I didn't want any crutches, so in the beginning I used to always cover the romanization up, because if I didn't my eyes would sometimes automatically go to it (I guess they're trained to find the more recognizable patterns? Ha), so it annoyed me that it was included. Now that I've been reading Hangul for a year, I can easily ignore the romanization. But definitely bothered me when I was trying to learn hangul.

January 19, 2015

The best thing is to learn hangul. At first i used romanization, but it only confused me. Hangul is much easier.

February 7, 2015

I can't even read the romanization of the songs tbh. Maybe it's becuz I'm not a native English speaker, I don't know. 

Learning pronunciation is a LOT easier with just listening and reading it in hangul. 

February 7, 2015

I stopped using romantization in june of 2014 it was really hard but now looking back I'm glad that I did its challenging but you can do it just practice daily hangul if you can and try lyrics if you  like korean music you can do it!!

January 19, 2015
Show more