Mirko
Wie bildet man "voll" + Substantiv und "voller" + Substantiv?

Hello fellow language learners!

I have some doubts when it comes to choose the correct declension of the noun following "voll" and "voller". I have found this interesting discussion in WR http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=607298, but it is not totally satisfactory. I am copying here some parts of the thread.

VOLL
"Voll" is an adjective and can be followed by 1. von + dative; 2. genitive; 3. dative. Item 1. should be the most common. Ex. Ein text voll von Fehlern. 2. Maria, voll der Gnade. 3. Eine Tasche voll Büchern.

The rules above should not change when articles and adjectives are used, right?

VOLLER
"Voller" is an old 'frozen' genitive form which is still used. If the following noun is preceded by an adjective, then genitive case is preferred, otherwise the noun is not inflected (nominative).

Ex. Er war voller Misstrauen. Er war voller guter Einfälle.

In the last part of the discussion it is stated that the usage of voll/voller is strongly overlapped, although "voller" is preferable when describing objects spread over a surface rather than the content of a vessel: Ein Eimer voll Wasser vs. Ein Keller voller Weinflaschen.

Some elucidations by native Germans speaker would be appreciated. What difference do you feel between "voll" and "voller"? Which case do you tend to use after those words? Are the rules above valid for adjectives in both predicative and attributive position?

Thank you in advance,

Mirko

Jan 24, 2015 8:38 PM
Comments · 3

Voll means full, and  voller means fuller or more full. So voller is the comparative of voll. But voll or full cannot be compared, because wenn it`s full or voll you cannot add something. So volller is actually a downgrade. It means: There is a large amount, but it is not necessarily the maximum. So "Der Koffer ist voll mit Geld" means it`s full and you cannot add some money, but "Der Koffer ist voller Geld" means that there is is a lage amount of money in the bag(suitcase) of you might be able to add something.

Another Example: "Der Himmel ist voller Sterne" is the only way it works, because even if the sky is totaly bright there could be more stars whitch you would not see. So I think in most situations it`s interchangeable, but in some cases it`s not(like "der Himmel ist voller Sterne").

To refer to yours examples:

voll1: It should be:"Ein Text voller Fehler", because you couls allways add a mistake. Ok you can do the maximum. Example:"wIUd hZGQh AJHGFDa tASDJYa". Here nothing is right. Not a letter in the right position. Not a sigle letter has the right Capitulation. Not a single Word the right lenght. But you would not call it a"Text voll mit Fehlern" but totaly nonsence or "Totaler Unsinn"

voll2: Can be interchanged:"Maria, voll der Gnade" oder "maria ist voller Gande"

voll3: is wrong. It sould be:"Eine Tasche voll mit Büchern" oder "Eine Tasche voll Bücher" but only if there is no way to add another book or even if there is no way to remove one(big) book to add two(or more)(smaller) books. If you want refer to the large amaount of books, you sould go with"Eine Tasche voller Bücher".

voller1: "Er war voller mißtrauen" you can allways add some amount of mistrust, so it´s correct.

voller2: "Er war voller guter Einfäller" you can allways add some good ideas, so it`s correct.

January 25, 2015

Hello,
how are you my name is miss Naarah , I'm single never married, and its my pleasure to write you as well, can i be your friend,reply my mail please do not for get,([email protected])

January 26, 2015

Then, to sum up your analysis, the most common constructions are:

- VOLL + mit + dative or VOLL + genitive;

- VOLLER + genitive.

January 25, 2015