Caroline L-B
Community Tutor
Learning Article : The 10 Most Confusing Words Of The French Language Part I

Discuss the Article : The 10 Most Confusing Words Of The French Language Part I

<a href='/article/364/the-10-most-confusing-words-of-the-french-language-part-i' target='_blank'>The 10 Most Confusing Words Of The French Language Part I</a>

There are some words that every French learner seems to confuse all the time. They are verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs and prepositions. As they say: "If only I had a penny every time someone confused one of these words!"

Jan 23, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 35

In English  "savvy" is used as a slang word to mean someone is well informed and knows a lot of facts or information about that topic eg "he is very savvy about computers"  meaning "He knows a  lot about computers".   So if you know this slang word "Savvy" you can use it to remember that Savvy is about knowing facts like Savoir is to know facts.

February 4, 2015

Hello everyone! Thank you all for your interest in my articles over the last year. This is now time to say goodbye as I've decided to stop publishing articles here. I've had issues with the editing team for few months now, and even though they introduced a new editor recently, they still serve the same "Because I said so!" that passes as justification for just about everything. I'm simply tired of these shenanigans. If it makes me angry, there is no point in continuing. I like to have fun. Teaching is fun (I'm still teaching by the way!) Writing is fun. Sharing is fun. It's just a shame that there is something that has to get in between. Anyway, thank you all for your feedback, good and bad. It goes a long way! Cheerio!

March 23, 2015

I noticed 2 mistakes. I wrote "sans lunette" when it should have been plural (sans lunettes). Sorry!

The other thing is the sentence "In defense of the French way, I'd like to point out that when when watching a film, one both looks and listens." I originally wrote "in my defense" because I'm saying "j'écoute la télé", like many Québécois. The proof reader changed it to "the French Way" which makes no sense at all, since I was talking about "the Québec way". Never mind.

January 27, 2015
This was great! Another pair that's always a challenge for me is "tous" and "tout".
May 8, 2016

Caroline,

You are such a good teacher. Thank you for all of your wonderful work. I'm am going to miss your future articles. I guess I will just have to schedule another learning session with you.

I think you'd do well by writing your own "How To Learn French" blog. That way, you can share your personal thoughts and experience with the world in an unedited fashion.

Looking forward to working with you again.

Take care.

Wil

April 6, 2016
Show more