sonya
say "something" after numbering of age

hi all..,

i want to ask, is it ok to say: my age is turning 30 something...

-> what is the meaning of "something" in this sentence?

thanks beforehand.

Jan 27, 2015 10:19 AM
Comments · 5

'something' is a number in this case, if you say 30 something, it can be 31, 32, 35, 37, etc. 

January 27, 2015

It's an expression that can be used to describe a range of ages. For example, somebody could say "This is not a job fit for a twenty something person fresh out of school": the speaker expresses that it doesn't really matter if someone is 20 or 24, for them all people that age are unfit.

People don't say often "I am a 20 something..." to tell their age, unless it's to express a general idea about themselves, like the belonging to a category of people, a category that the listener should know the charateristics of, like "Are you suprised I can't find a job? I'm a 40 something with outdated skills, in this economy".

January 27, 2015

got it, thanks Mike.

January 28, 2015

You wouldn't say "my age is turning ____", but rather "I'm turning ___". 

As as has been pointed out, you would only use that sentence structure when you're specifically trying to talk about people in a wide age group. Therefore you would never, unless joking, say that you're turning thirty something. You would just say how old you're going to be. You could, however, say that about someone else if you didn't kbow their exact age. 

January 28, 2015

thanks Dina and Berze :-)

January 28, 2015