Erica
Impossible to find partners for language exchange on Italki...

I'm searching partners for practice language. I'm searching only women and native speaker English. Is it impossible???

For practice with someone i have to pay the lessons.... i don't believe!

Jan 27, 2015 2:17 PM
Comments · 23

You also have to consider the language you have to offer in exchange for English. In the UK Portuguese in particular and to a lesser extent Italian are not popular languages to learn. It might be the same in other English speaking countries, I don't know. If you were a native Spanish, French or German speaker you would probably have more luck Erika. You might have to be less restrictive on the types of native speakers you want to talk with, or be open to speaking with non-native speakers if you don't want to pay for language exchange. 

Camilo I saw you were looking for someone to speak with from the UK the other day, but the biggest issue with this is the 5 hour time zone difference, if you are only available to speak in the evening in Colombia (which I think I saw you write before) that is not a feasible option for people from the UK, because no one wants to study late at night or in the early hours of the morning. Also I dont mean to be rude, but I think it might be how you write in your notebook entries that is offputting to native English speakers. You often complain about things, and Americans seem to be your favourite target so is it really a surprise that Americans might not want to speak with you. 

January 27, 2015

Not impossible but no doubt it's not easy.  I think some people are too restrictive in their selection.  For example, Erica rules out about 50% of the members here by only searching women.  I'm pretty sure Camilo only considers people close to his age.  Then if you insist that they be native speakers you lessen the pool further. Then there's the time difference & the difference in availability for different people & it gets even tougher.

For example, I am available to chat during the day, like 9:00am to 3:00pm, my time, weekdays only.  That doesn't work for those that are at work during that time.  But I would think it would work for people in Europe.  Still tough to find though.  But Camilo, I will call you tomorrow at 1:00pm your time.  I don't think that time works for you.  But it's not a reflection of this site, or you... it's just a difference in our time availability.

January 27, 2015

So out of curiosity, I just checked and you're following a grand total of zero people. This is a great website for language learning, but it only works if you're proactive and a little fearless. There's a saying in English that I think applies here. It's "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink". 

January 29, 2015

Hi,Erica:) I do not know,what is problem.You are new here.Be patient.I am sure you will find women language partner.Do not let that some persons tell rude words ( as selfish)  about women.

January 29, 2015

Tutor Stephy, can't you largely avoid that scenario by checking to see if the guy is only following girls and change your settings so that only people that you're following too can message you? To me that's a red flag that probably accounts for a large percentage of such people. Besides, if you never do a video chat and at most do a voice call what's the worst that can happen? The guy says something really inappropriate and you unfollow/block him? That doesn't seem like that big a deal to me and it's not like your husband has to worry about anything happening since the other person is probably thousands of miles away. That's just my two cents. Don't get me wrong, be careful obviously, but even if the guy, for some weird reason decides to flirt with you, you're still learning another language haha.

That's obviously not an issue for me though, so I'm sure it can be annoying at times. If it gets that bad you can at least always change your profile pic.

January 29, 2015
Show more