Jhordy K.
Junk Food!

Hi, I'm Peruvian and I make a investigation about the alimentation of children from USA. I want to know if the alimentation for students is good or bad. I would greatly appreciate if you help me with some information about this. Some friends and Me are thinking about export some products made of andean vegetables and some andean fruit. What do you think about this idea?

Jan 28, 2015 12:38 AM
Comments · 3

In the United States, schools are governed at the state and city level. It's hard to explain because there is a U.S. Department of Education, but it doesn't control the schools and it certainly doesn't get involved in school lunch programs. The answer to your question would be different state by state.

In my experience, school lunches are somewhere in between "healthy" and "junk food." There is in fact pressure to make them healthier. There is a tendency to have too much of things like pizza or chicken nuggets. But they are not awful. The standard meals would usually include vegetables and fruit although you can't force the kids to actually eat them. Some schools have vending machines that sell sugary soda, some do not and vend only bottled water, juice, etc.

Because of cultural associations, many children want familiar food and do not want "strange" food. I think your best bet would be to research the U.S. to find out what cities actually have <em>Peruvian </em>communities in them--such as Paterson, New Jersey.

January 28, 2015

1st, if this is trageted towards children in the US, they won't know what Andean is. 

January 28, 2015

It occurs to me that there's a juice bar in Back Bay train station in Boston called "Jugos," and in addition to selling (WONDERFUL) fresh juice drinks and bowls, they also sell packaged snacks. Among them is a line of salty snack food distributed by a company called "Inka Crops" (Inka with a K). Their website is:

http://www.inkacrops.com

Is that something like what you are trying to do?

January 29, 2015