Julian Ceron
First steps on learning Japanese

Hello everybody. 

I was wondering which is the best way to start learning japanese. 

I have done some research and what I have found is that you have to start by leanring Hiragana and Kataka ( Wich I already know). 

But then .... I am not sure if start by learning kanji, are just prhases or simple audios or vocabulary.

How you manage to start learning Japanese ? 

Jan 28, 2015 1:27 AM
Comments · 4

There are a lot of ways to about this, I'd suggest you learn kana first and kanji right after, leave all the rest for after you've learned around 1000 kanji.

January 28, 2015

Hello Julian! How are you? I've been learning japanese for two years on my own now so I've found a few resources here and here ;) For your kana I highly recomend an app called "Dr Moku's Hiragana". It will teach you all of them in a few hours. But you should also download an app called "Human Japanese" because it will give you a very good introduction to the language and help you to learn the sounds in japanese. Kanji are not needed at first, but dont take too long to start them! Japanese only uses 240 sounds so there are many words that are said exactly the same, so the kanji help you to understand if your new friend likes candy or rain(Both are said as "Ame" but use different kanji). I would look to youtube for a few vlogers (I recommend chicasan) and see if you can get the pimsluer course at your library(Or maybe*Cough*Youtube*Cough*) Pimsluer is slow but it will help you to hear the language. There is an app called "Hello talk" and you can you it for language exchange no matter what your level. And there is always Italki! A tutor can do miracles for a beginner ^^ Hope I helped and Ganbatte!(Good luck!/Fight!) 

January 28, 2015

It'sThe first step is the same for every language - learn pronunciation and the alphabet at the same time. In the case of Japanese, that means learning pronunciation and kana (hiragana/katakana) at the same time. 

January 29, 2015

for memorizing words and kanji: http://ankisrs.net.  It's the best program with the best collection of study decks.  The PC version is free and all the decks are free.

for learning grammar: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar.  You can skip the advanced topics at first and come back to them later but you should read the beginner and intermediate stuff.

study Kanji in grade order and start reading easy Manga after you learn the first 300 (shogakusei) kanji.

Make a japanese friend and talk to them in Japanese every week.  Watch a ton of Japanese movies.

Especially - do things that are fun for you.  It will take a long time and you need to focus on having fun so you can stay motivated.

January 29, 2015