iax
Best English for starting

I'm newly here, and I’m trying to use the community gradually... so please be cue.
I would like to know which is the best English, accent and slang talking, to learn proficiently.
My choices would be between American, English of the United Kingdom or also Australian English.
I know that this could be subjective, feel free to say which one for you and why :)

Jan 28, 2015 10:19 PM
Comments · 6

It doesn't matter.

January 29, 2015

It doesn't matter which, you will be understood in any English speaking country if you learn any of them. Personally I would try and expose myself to different variants and accents of spoken English, I think it would be more beneficial than just restricting yourself to one kind. Personally I think people get too hung up on this, English has enormous variety in accents and for me there is no one 'best' kind.

January 29, 2015

Agree, the accent doesn't  matter. Plus if the English is not your first language, your English accent will be influenced by your mother tong, anyway.  As long as your pronunciation is clear and people can understand you and you understand them... Grammer and vocabulary are the most important.

January 30, 2015

American. Think of all the American films, popular worldwide.

It's been said the Mid-eastern American accent is the most pleasant. But it's really a matter of opinion.

January 29, 2015

Neither slang  nor accents are a significant issue.

To learn a  language proficiently,  you can do something as simple as  write   a single sentence in a notebook, and afterward,  write several more sentences and then  vary them slightly.

It helps to  use the Dolch Lists for the most  100 common  English Verbs and Nouns 

and to use these in many sentences  with variation. 

Word associations  between Synonyms and Antonyms  can be of great benefit.

A  language practice partner  can be very helpful,  but it has to be an activity that is something other than  Finding----A---Friend.   A  "friend" may have no knowledge at all about how to advance in a  language study.

January 30, 2015
Show more