Tutor Stephy
Thoughts on teaching ASL to a toddler?

What does everyone think about American Sign Language (ASL)? I am American, so of course I speak English as my native language. My husband speaks Spanish as his native since he's originally from Mexico. We are teaching our son both English and Spanish, but I decided to also start him on ASL. I myself do not know it so I am teaching myself in order to teach him. He is 16 months (1 year and 4 months old). I heard kids can speak sign language easier and quicker than they can using the common way of speaking. I think it will be an amazing journey. What do you all think? I am just curious. 

Note: Right now he laughs everytime I introduce a sign before we eat, play or take a bath. I believe soon he'll understand what it all means.

Jan 29, 2015 2:18 PM
Comments · 6

sorry, cat was supposed to be in the second list. Lol. 

January 29, 2015

I'm not sure yet. For now we're just focusing on words like:

Mommy

Daddy

Eat

Drink

Bath

Play

Yes

No

change (diaper)

sleep

and later we'll do things like:

hurt

more

done

and you know the rest xd 

He'll be trilingual if we continue ASL. He's already learning English and Spanish at home. :) We speak both here.

cat

January 29, 2015

I think it is really a good idea. Beside, it will help your baby to develop cognitives skills.

Learning some signs is funny but if you help him to learn ASL, in the future your baby will can help people who has problems with their capacity to listen.

January 30, 2015

Like Susan612, my son and daughter-in-law experimented with using ASL signs with their first child. The idea was that children can understand sign language earlier than they can understand spoken language and that it was a way of communicating better with babies. I believe they found some benefit from it--I absolutely remember the baby signing something meaningful with them--but I don't think they did it with their second kid, I'll have to ask them why not.

I think it's obviously a good idea. What could be wrong with it? If nothing else it's fun. The baby will know the parents are playing with it. At the very worst it's a nice game.

Which reminds me--it's about time for me to teach our six-year-old grandson how to play Cat's Cradle.

January 29, 2015

cat lol)))

January 29, 2015
Show more