John
Why use "would" here.

This is an Email writed by a native speaker. He writed to his manager to take some time off work. It is a semi-formal letter.

1. To join an important party, I WOULD need to be away from work for four days.

2. Tim WOULD be able to help me in the workplace while I am away.

If I say :

1. To join an important party, I need to be away from work for four days. (without "WOULD")

2. Tim WILL be able to help me in the workplace while I am away.

what are the differences ?

Jan 30, 2015 6:25 AM
Comments · 7

*written... wrote

He's describing a hypothetical situation (he hasn't been given time off from work by his boss yet). You can write it the other way too, but it sounds more forceful that way and then it implies that he's already assumed he has the time off or is demanding it. He just said it in a polite way. 

January 30, 2015

Just a heads up - questions like this should go under "answers".

January 30, 2015

The employee has not yet been given this time off, so the situation is hypothetical, hence the use of conditional forms.

February 2, 2015

Those of your 2 sentences would be " conditional 2" style. Like Mike said, This kind of sentences mean the situation is hypothetical or unlikely. My question would be "conditional 3" which I posted above, It describles  an impossible thing. I know the conception of conditional sentences, but I can't use it on my own writting and speaking.

February 2, 2015

Hi Hit, 你的这个问题还有上一个问题 就是问时态的那个问题,这两个问题好像是“虚拟语气”或是”条件句“的知识点吧?这两个知识点好像很难耶,我一点都不会。你看看我遇到的这个题。

_____ he shopped around before buying the camera, he would have saved a lot of money.

A if  B  if had C had

我选B 但是不对, 选C。

February 2, 2015
Show more